Ingredients:

  • one to two cups of fruit
  • 3/4 c milk
  • 1/2 cup oil OR one stick melted butter
  • one egg
  • one-third cup plus one tablespoon sugar
  • one teaspoon salt
  • three teaspoons baking powder
  • two cups flour
  • some cinnamon, if you like cinnamon
  • a litle vanilla never hurt anyone


What to do:

Mix em up and bake at 400 for, I don't know, till they're done. Fifteen minutes?


Helpful Hints:

If you grease the bottoms of the muffin cups, you'll be happy. Paper liners will only bring you grief; these muffins tend to cling to the paper and you end up having to scrape the papers with your teeth to properly extract all the frooty frooty goodness.

These are good with apples. Excellent with apples and blueberries.

I use fresh fruit but frozen probably works just as well.

Fresh apples plus dried cranberries is delicious too.

If you use apples, it's wise to chop them directly into the batter, or at least into the milk, so they don't turn brown.

You can add a whole damn lot of fruit to the batter and it will turn out ok, just as long as there's enough batter to stick it together.

Probably you'd be all right substituting water for the milk - I use powdered milk at half-strength and they turn out fine.

You will not be sorry if you top these with a little brown sugar before baking.

They're not health food, but if you're gong to have something sweetish, why not homemade, with no preservatives and other needless crap? Plus, they're half fruit. All in all, a delightful treat that takes ten minutes to mix, fifteen to bake, and will, if you're me, have your co-workers narrowing their eyes at you and accusing you of having stopped by a bakery.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.