Fume is also a graffiti artist based in London. If you take a train (underground or overground) from Paddington Station and head west you will find several instances of the word 'Fume' painted over the walls and fittings around the railway, all the way out to Ealing Broadway.

The most impressive is a small logo painted right at the very top of a ten-story building. Fume's logos (not so much logos, as signatures) also appear north of Kilburn Park on the Bakerloo line.

Fume's most well-known logo is roughly twenty feet wide and painted on the Westway. You can see it on your left as you approach Royal Oak station, just outside Paddington. He, or she, seems to concentrate on West London. Like Banksy, his or her identity does not appear to be publicly known; and it is entirely possible that 'Fume' is a front for several people (there does not appear to be a consistent style).

Fume (fUm), n. [L. fumus; akin to Skr. dhUma smoke, dhU to shake, fan a flame, cf. Gr. qy`ein to sacrifice, storm, rage, qy`mon, qy`mos, thyme, and perh. to E. dust: cf. OF. fum smoke, F. fumée. Cf. Dust, n., Femerell, Thyme.]

1.

Exhalation; volatile matter (esp. noxious vapor or smoke) ascending in a dense body; smoke; vapor; reek; as, the fumes of tobacco.

The fumes of new shorn hay.
T. Warton.

The fumes of undigested wine.
Dryden.

2.

Rage or excitement which deprives the mind of self-control; as, the fumes of passion. South.

3.

Anything vaporlike, unsubstantial, or airy; idle conceit; vain imagination.

A show of fumes and fancies.
Bacon.

4.

The incense of praise; inordinate flattery.

To smother him with fumes and eulogies.
Burton.

In a fume, in ill temper, esp. from impatience.

 

© Webster 1913


Fume, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Fumed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Fuming.] [Cf. F. fumer, L. fumare to smoke. See Fume, n.]

1.

To smoke; to throw off fumes, as in combustion or chemical action; to rise up, as vapor.

Where the golden altar fumed.
Milton.

Silenus lay,
Whose constant cups lay fuming to his brain.
Roscommon.

2.

To be as in a mist; to be dulled and stupefied.

Keep his brain fuming.
Shak.

3.

To pass off in fumes or vapors.

Their parts are kept from fuming away by their fixity.
Cheyne.

4.

To be in a rage; to be hot with anger.

He frets, he fumes, he stares, he stamps the ground.
Dryden.

While her mother did fret, and her father did fume.
Sir W. Scott.

To fume away, to give way to excitement and displeasure; to storm; also, to pass off in fumes.

 

© Webster 1913


Fume, v. t.

1.

To expose to the action of fumes; to treat with vapors, smoke, etc.; as, to bleach straw by fuming it with sulphur; to fill with fumes, vapors, odors, etc., as a room.

She fumed the temple with an odorous flame.
Dryden.

2.

To praise inordinately; to flatter.

They demi-deify and fume him so.
Cowper.

3.

To throw off in vapor, or as in the form of vapor.

The heat will fume away most of the scent.
Montimer.

How vicious hearts fume frenzy to the brain!
Young.

 

© Webster 1913


Fume, n. (Metal.)

Solid material deposited by condensation of fumes; as, lead fume (a grayish powder chiefly lead sulphate).

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.