One of the longer Anime series. It is a show about a girl who is trying to get the power of a god (in this case, Suzaku) to protect a small country in an alternate reality. It is very difficult to get into simply because the main character is a ditz beyond any belief for the first six episodes, but gets progressively better afterwards. Plenty of action, lots of character development, and surprising plot twists.

See also: Vision of Escaflowne, Nakago

Warning, spoilers follow. Stop reading if you haven't seen the series through.

If you like the anime Fushigi Yuugi, you know that the final episode kicks ass. There's a cool extended instrumental remix of Tokimeki na Doukasen and in the epilogue, as you would expect, Tamahome returns to Miaka's world through the Power of Love.

Anyway, you know that guy who was Miaka's brother's friend? All you know about him is that Miaka's brother owed him money which he wanted a lot, and that he helps out the good guys a few times for no apparent reason. Why would he do this? It doesn't make sense.

Anyway, in the epilogue, Miaka's brother says that a special person has come to visit him from far away. Obviously, that's Tamahome. So then in the very next scene, there's the brother's friend taking up like the entire screen. So instantly I'm like, yes! stroke of genius! that guy was Tamahome all along, a parallel Tamahome because of some time travel deal, who couldn't admit until now who he was for fear of changing the course of time. That's why he likes cash, and why he's so enthusiastic about helping Miaka. Why didn't I realize it before?

But in the very next scene, rather than removing his sunglasses he's always wearing to reveal Tamahome's face, you see that Tamahome is just waiting behind him, and the friend is just a stupid secondary character after all. Argh! I feel like going to the script writers and rapping them on the head. It would have been an absolutely beautiful plot twist. 26 episodes that Tamahome was walking among us and we didn't even realize it. But, they didn't think of it. Sad.

This is probably related to the manga, which continues after the TV series ends. Still, it would seem worthwhile to sacrifice consistency in this case for a far more kickass ending.

Fushigi Yuugi is one of the longest running anime series I have seen. It now consists of 52 TV episodes (two series) and 3 OAVs and is based upon a manga by Watase Yuu.

It centres around Miaka, a high-school student who discovers The Book Of The Four Gods in a library. The book transports her and her best friend Yui, to Konan, a country in ancient China. There she encounters a young man called Tamahome, and she becomes the priestess of Suzaku, one of the four gods. If she gathers all the Suzaku Seven, a group of seven warriors, or seishi, she can summon Suzaku, and he will grant her three wishes. Complications ensue as she is separated from Yui, who meets Nakago, a general of Kotou, a neighbouring country, which is fighting with Konan. Yui is manipulated by Nagako into becoming priestess of Seiryu, another of the four Gods, and they race to be the first to summon their god.

Fushigi Yuugi is a good blend of both shoujo and shounen manga, mixing the romance between Miaka and Tamahome, with the conflict between the two groups of warriors. Action scenes are well done, although they are not as well animated as some. The ending is brilliant, and the characters are well developed. I recommend you see this if you like anime such as Vision of Escaflowne.

Characters:

Modern day characters:

  • Miaka
  • Yui
  • Keisuke
  • Tetsuya

Suzaku seven:

Seiryu Seven:

  • Nakago
  • Amiboshi
  • Suboshi
  • Soi
  • Ashitare
  • Tomo
  • Miboshi

Gods:

  • Taitsukun
  • Suzaku
  • Seiryu
  • Genbu
  • Byakko

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.