Colloquial Australian greeting. Short for Good Day. Sometimes spelled 'Gidday'. I've also seen this in the Footrot Flats cartoon series from New Zealand spelled 'gudday', which is more how Kiwis pronounce the word.

How many Aussies really say "G'day"? I mean, really, hands up.

If you're feeling particularly friendly or old- fashioned you may utter the slang, and if you're in the outback it slips out...

But for those of us in the suburbs of New South Wales, the huge 'g'day' sign at the Opening Ceremony of the Games and Mr Samaranch's opening statement were cringe-inducing and just funny.

True blue, cobber digger mate.

Struth mellamaphone, don't come the raw prawn with me, mate, or I'll do me flamin' block!

Of course us true blue dinkie die Aussies say G'day, you flamin' Galah. Just take a good look at Alf Stewart on Home and Away, which is from NSW by the way. Is there a more bloody fair dinkum Aussie bloke around? It's drongos like you that just prove You don't have to have a long neck to be a flamin' goose.

I use G'day all the time, same as the bastards from Telstra I was on the phone to this morning. Becuase it's a bloody beaut word.

I love the word G'Day, but you won't hear it that much in Australia.

I know that may sound weird given what you have heard or read about Australia. The funny thing is that you WILL hear it, just not on its own.

A familiar greeting in Australia is: G'Day mate how you going? This is said quite fast so that it becomes one word such as Gdaymatehowyagoin.

It is not intended as a real question but more of a greeting. A real answer to the question such as 'good mate' or 'i'm fine' will work just the same as if you say 'hi' or 'gday' back.

If you're in Australia give it a go!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.