A brand of soda pop/phosphate manufactured by the Clover Club Bottling Corp. of Minnesota since around 1920. It's something like 7up or Sprite, but tastes more like lollipops and is very, very green, like its name. It's also very gassy. Think of the Fizzy Lifting drinks from the Willy Wonka movie and the appeal becomes obvious. Looks like snot, makes you burp, causes a slight headrush - instant favorite for any 7 year old.

It has a strange aftertaste, and after the third or fourth bottle (I really liked the stuff in my candy diet days), it has a mouth-numbing effect, like carbonated Chloraseptic.

It's pretty hard to find nowadays, except in the soda fountains of old drug stores and small ice cream shops. It's also available through mail order and various websites. If you can't find a nearby fountain that offers it, buy only the glass bottles, the plastic ones taste funny.

To many, Green River is seen as the seminal "grunge" band, and were at least the first band to release an album on the Sub Pop Records label. The band was formed in 1984 by Jeff Ament on bass, drummer Alex Shumway, guitarist/vocalist Mark Arm and Steve Turner, who had previously played guitar for Mr. Epp. The line-up was expanded with the addition of former Ducky Boys/March Of Crimes guitarist Stone Gossard, and after Gossard joined, they began playing Seattle's north-west scene. By 1985, they had played live with The Melvins on the Deep Six compilation, released a six-song EP, Come On Down, for Homestead records, and were playing several of the same clubs as Seattle metal-monsters Soundgarden.

Green River produced a 12-inch EP called Dry as a Bone in 1987 with the help of Sub Pop owner Bruce Pavitt, when he turned the cassette-based fanzine into a true record label. Bruce Fairweather of Deranged Diction joined the band when Turner left, and in May 1988 they released the EP Rehab Doll. The band, however, was already falling apart. Irreperable differences between Arm and Ament led to them splitting a month after Rehab Doll's release.

Arm and Turner teamed up with ex-Melvins bassist Matt Lukin and drummer Dan Peters. Mudhoney was the happy result of this lineup. Ament, Gossard and Fairweather joined forces with ex-Malfunkshun vocalist Andy Wood and drummer Regan Hagar to form the short-lived Mother Love Bone. After Wood's heroin overdose in March 1990, that band folded. Gossard and Ament formed the megaband Pearl Jam.

And so it was that Green River became the foundation for two of the most influential bands in the 90s' most important rock movement.


http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/green_river/bio.jhtml
formerly a cut-and paste. is no longer so. sorry.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.