A form of bagpipe native to the province of Galicia in northwestern Spain, closely related to the Gaita Asturias of the Asturias province. Like other mouth-blown bagpipes, the gaita gallega's constituent parts are: a hide or stomach pipebag, a blowpipe, a pipe chanter, and one or more drones. Typically, these pipes are constructed with one bass drone and a single tenor drone. Usually built in the key of C, gaitas are also commonly made in the key of B and some older pipes are tuned to Bb, the same key as the well-known Scottish Great Highland Bagpipes.

Along with Eastern European dudas, the gaita gallega represents one of the few continental European bagpiping traditions that survived into modernity. Like most European bagpiping traditions, the gaita saw resurgence in popularity and gained international exposure during the 1990s.

It is not entirely subjective to note that the gaita gallega has a sweeter tone and lower decibel level than its more famous Scottish cousin does. Its musical gracings and embellishments differ from those of the highland pipes and the Irish uilleann pipes. Compared to these two previous pipes, gaiteros, or Spanish pipers, play their tunes in a manner far removed from the rigid style of the highland pipes and more like the latter- in a more fluid, personal style.

The typical repertoire of a gaitero includes marches, jotas, pasadobles, polkas, alboradas, and muñeiras.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.