Galatea 2.2 is a novel by Richard Powers.

Its main character is a novelist by the name of Richard Powers who takes on a gig as the token liberal arts member in a multidisciplinary project to create a neural network that mimics human thought.

The fruit of their labor is Helen, the neural net that Powers reads to (the classics, modern works, his own novels). One of the scientists involved in the project claims that Helen will be able to match a graduate student in literature on a written comprehensive exam so well that no one will be able to differentiate Helen's answers from the grad student's. A Turing test!

I won't go into more detail here, except to say that the novel has a lot to say about human thought, life and love.

The title, Galatea, of course, comes from the Pygmalion myth.

A warning: Though it may sound like one, this is not a science fiction novel, it is serious literary fiction. And I say that not to diminish the former in favor of the latter, but just to warn people who may want to pick this book up and give it a read so they are not misled.


Note: The above writeup, though all true, is a nodeshell rescue.

Empty cyberspace reclaimed by human thought!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.