The title of a great Australian movie about Gallipoli directed by Peter Weir that follows the life of Archibald(played by Mark Lee), a promising young athlete, who joins the ANZAC expedition to Turkey in 1915 even though he is underage. Archy is joined by Frank Dunne (played by Mel Gibson) and they share the journey to Gallipoli displaying what would be considered the most stereotypical display of australian mateship I can think of.

This film has all the key elements; a great story, gripping, humour and great cinematography. The chemistry between Lee and Gibson seems to be reflected on screen as well. They seem like two friends that would go to the pub for a beer and a chat. Despite being shot in 1981 in hasn't dated. This story mixes the lives of young male Australians with the politics and English involvement in the haphazard and farcical Gallipoli offensive to give a strong anti-war message at a personal level. Great pace, balance and sound track.


What are your legs made of?
steelsprings.
What will they do?
Hurtle me down the track.
What will they do?!
Hurtle me down the track!
How fast can you run?!
Fast as a leapoard
How fast are you going to run?!
Fast as a leapoard!

This is considered by some to be the finest anti-war movie made. Writing credist also need to be given to David Williamson. Weir says that...

"Gallipoli is about two young men on the road to adventure, how they crossed continents and great oceans, climbed the pyramids and walked through the ancient sands of Egypt, and the deserts of the outback, to their appointment with destiny at Gallipoli."
http://www10.pair.com/~crazydv/weir/articles/articlej.html

That about sums it up.

After the Gallipoli campaigns, yet another of the astonishingly deadly and stalemated confrontations of World War I, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, commander of the Ottoman forces and later revolutionary founder of modern Turkey, penned the following moving words to his enemy:

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives;
You are now living in the soil of a friendly country, therefore rest in peace.
There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us
where they lie side by side here in this country of ours.
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries,
wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace.
After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

This piece is now engraved in English on a monument at the Gallipoli site.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.