Refers to an area of dead tissue. Tissue death occurs when the blood supply to the area is compromised by injury or obstruction of the arteries that carry blood to the area. Such arterial disease is seen frequently in the legs of the elderly and of diabetics.

Dead or devitalized tissue easily becomes infected with a number of different types of bacteria. Moist or wet gangrene refers to dead tissue that is infected. Dry gangrene is dead tissue that is not infected. Gas gangrene occurs in tissue infected by the Clostridium bacterium, which actually produces gas in an infected wound. In addition to local symptoms, clostridial infection can cause a severe, generalized blood infection.

Treatment of gangrene depends on the area involved and on whether infection has occurred. Systemic antibiotics and/or surgical removal of the gangrenous part may be necessary as a life-saving measure.

The End.

Well, except for the fact that I got my own EMT certification and from now on I take care of myself. Oh, and the following year at camp the laws changed two weeks into the summer, requiring them to not one, but two camp medics. And, it being too late to hire someone new, I moved out of my small canvas tent and into a large warm cabin with, get this, electricity, running (hot) water, a refrigerator, and for some reason, inside the fridge, two cases of Hershey's Chocolate Bars. I had my leg, I had my chocolate. Life is good.

A condition in which injured or diseased body tissue dies due to a lack of blood flow, then becomes infected by bacteria (especially from the genus Clostridium) and begins to decay.

Gangrenous tissue often turns black because bacteria make iron sulfide from the iron in decaying hemoglobin.

From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

Gan"grene (?), n. [F. gangrene, L. gangraena, fr. Gr. , fr. to gnaw, eat; cf. Skr. gras, gar, to devour, and E. voracious, also canker, n., in sense 3.] Med.

A term formerly restricted to mortification of the soft tissues which has not advanced so far as to produce complete loss of vitality; but now applied to mortification of the soft parts in any stage.

 

© Webster 1913.


Gan"grene, v. t. & i. [imp. & p. p. Gangrened (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Gangrening.] [Cf. F. gangr'ener.]

To produce gangrene in; to be affected with gangrene.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.