Astonishingly Good, Dead Simple Garlic and Mozzarella Chicken

A veritable gustatory orgy, this little dish has never done anything but Wow everyone I have made it for. I initially made this when I was a kid from a magazine article but lost the receipt. As I remembered the basics it I kept making it anyway and it has remained one of the finest parts of my cooking repertoire. It is dead simple to make. Unfortunately I am the sort of cook that after the first few times I make something I stop using the receipt and just kind of use the force.

Do not worry I will give you rough ratios and it is pretty hard to screw up and worth the attempt as it is yummy beyond words.

Ingredients

Tools:

You will also need an appropriate sized casserole dish and a number of metal skewers (roughly the number of breasts, depending on how good you are with a skewer). Cheese grater, cooking bowl, sharp knife, cutting board.

Procedure

Some complicated list of ingredients hunh.

  1. The first thing you want to do is marinate the chicken breasts. I usually use a ziplock bag, put the chicken in the bag, cover it with the Italian dressing. Squish it around a bit so it soaks into all the nooks and crannies, pull it taut so that most of the air is out of it, then seal the bag and throw it in the fridge. If you are doing a large amount of chicken just put it in a good sized bowl, cover it with the dressing, squish and let sit. Depending on your time and taste you can let it marinate for anywhere from four (maybe eight but that is pushing it) to two hours. This will make for tender and tasty chicken (actually if you are lazy you can leave it at this and it will work, just bake it and it is pretty good, but for the true gourmand push on.
  2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
  3. Grate your Cheese, preferably finely into a good sized bowl.
  4. Peel and crush/mince/chop your garlic into little tiny pieces and pour on top of the cheese. To start I would use one clove per breast or less and go from there. Garlic fetishists can ignore this suggestion.
  5. Beat your egg/s with a fork till it is blended and add salt, pepper and garlic powder to egg.
  6. Take out chicken breasts and cut a pocket into them to stuff cheese and garlic into.
  7. Pour egg over cheese and garlic, mash together by hand till even.
  8. Stuff mixture into breasts, close with skewers (do not use toothpicks as you will loose track of them and splinters in your gums SUCK). Then place into casserole dish. Try to have the breasts kind of smushed together, as the cheese inevitably runs out of the breasts and you want it to kind of meld together.
  9. Pour what ever remains in the bag of the Italian dressing used to marinate the chicken over top of the chicken(not to much) and grate a dusting of Mozzarella over the top of the whole thing.
  10. Place in the oven uncovered for approximately an hour or until it is cooked through and the top is brown.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.