Sopa de Ajo, or garlic soup, is a traditional Spanish soup that found a welcoming home in the "New World", soon becoming a standard in Mexican cuisine. It has evolved slightly from its Spanish roots, so I'll include a pair of recipes, one from Mexico, and one more authentically Spanish.

Sopa de Ajo

Garlic Soup - Mexican

This is a delicious soup that goes very well alongside a meal, though isn't hearty enough to be a meal in itself. It has a very smooth taste, and none of the flavors are overwhelming - even with all that garlic. This recipe was taken from the "Mexico The Beautiful Cookbook".

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 oz garlic (about 30 cloves), peeled
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
6 cups chicken stock (chicken broth can be substituted)
2 eggs

Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and add the cloves of garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is a nice golden brown color. Put the garlic into a blender, leaving the oil in the saucepan.

Add the water to the blender, and puree the garlic.

Add the breadcrumbs to the saucepan, and brown in the oil. Add the chicken stock, and the garlic mixture, and simmer for about 15 minutes, covered.

While the soup simmers, beat the eggs. After the 15 minutes, bring the soup to boiling, and pour the eggs in a small stream, using a fork to stir and break up the egg. Cook for another three minutes.

The original Spanish version is obviously related, but has a different flavor emphasis, and can stand much better on its own. Thanks to pheast.com for this recipe.

Sopa de Ajo

Garlic Soup - Spanish

1 baguette, sliced 1/2 inch thick (about 18-20 slices)
1/3 cup olive oil
2 oz diced ham or bacon (optional)
6 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon pimenton de la Vera
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
6 cups chicken stock or chicken broth
4 eggs
salt

Toast the bread, and set aside.

Heat the oil in a saucepan, soup pot, or cazuela over medium heat. Add the garlic and meat, and cook until the garlic turns golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add the pimenton and cumin and stir, then immediately add the chicken stock. Add salt to taste.

Add the bread, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes.

One by one, break each egg into a saucer, and slide it onto the top of the soup. After all the eggs are added, cover the pot, and cook for about 4 minutes to poach the eggs to where the yolks are still liquid. Serve, with one egg per bowl.

Nutrition Information: 578 calories; 813 mg sodium; 246 mg cholesterol; 25 grams fat; 67 grams carbohydrates; 18 grams protein; 2.46 grams fiber.

This soup is easy to prepare as well as verrry tasty. The garlic should be fresh and plenty, but I already tried it with dried granulate, that works too. Please refrain from kissing anyone after eating this soup. Thanks.

Ingredients:

Rough measurment only, feel free to alter. This recipe should give you about 4 plates of soup.

Method:

  1. Cut the onions to medium and fry them in a pot with some veggie oil.
  2. Add cut up garlic. Wait untill both has a little colour to it, then throw the flour on and let it roast 'till it's brown.
  3. Add the water and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
  4. Blend the soup up and add spices and stock.
  5. Let it cook for another minute, then pull it off the heated stove and thicken the soup with sweet cream.
  6. Taste. Add spices. Serve.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.