Founded in 1981, GMHC's focus is on AIDS care, education, and advocacy worldwide. The orgnanization's mission statement includes providing compassionate care to New Yorkers with AIDS, education to keep people healthy, and advocating for fair and effective public policies.

GMHC's 6,600+ volunteers and 169 staff members serve more than 11,000 clients annually using a budget of $22.4 million (55% from private donors and 33% from the government). The services provided by volunteers are valued at more than $1.85 million annually.

Compassionate Care
"Buddies" provide crisis intervention by doing chores and lending support. Support is also provided through weekly group therapy meetings, and individual and family therapy is also available. All therapy is offered in Spanish and English. Legal assistance is provided, including help with estate planning, landlord/tenant issues, guardianship, and insurance. Wellness programs include nutritional counseling, acupuncture, and other types of care.

Education
GMHC distributes more than one million publications each year around the world, and also distributes more than 500,000 condoms annually in New York. Peer counseling is available via a free and confidential hotline. The organization produces a monthly newsletter called Treatment Issues and a weekly cable news show called "Living with AIDS" as well as educational videos. Speakers are always available.

Advocacy
GMHC works for adequate housing, medical care, insurance, and entitlements for individuals with HIV. Current projects include trying to establish explicit AIDS education for communities at risk, encouraging HIV prevention behavioral studies and streamlined research to find a cure.

Official website: http://www.gmhc.org/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.