I need a job. One that pays in money and not XP. I have qualifications, options y'know. Scholarships, High Distinctions, that sort of thing...

I could get a job typing stuff, I can do that... but, closed in, directed thought, I'd go mad. I'd lose my powers, my dreams. I could get a job in customer service, but last time I tried that... well, you know that 'the customer is always right', right? Well, I forgot. Spectacularly. And left. I could probably get some copyediting job for a rich crappy speller...
But the only job I want is stacking shelves in a supermarket. Everyone freaks, tells me I'd be wasting my life, but... there's just so many good reasons. First is the style factor. I never wanted the 9 to 5, this job I'm looking at is 5 to 9. It pays just enough for me to survive, it happens when everyone else is sleeping and I get to go home as everyone else shutting themselves into a commute.
I'm a geek, so I can deal with the fact that it'll require me to give up on the concept of 'sleep cycle'... but all that detracts from the real purpose:

I like thinking. I've already hinted at it, but the real problem I have with most jobs is that they require you to think about something in particular, whether it's text, code, people, fabric, whatever. These are all things I think about anyway, but the noise in my head means that I can only do it for enjoyment. Can't concentrate to save myself, or for that matter perform any other, less stressful tasks. I can only think about things in an undirected, specualtive sort of way, or an obsessive creative frenzy.
Manual labour lets me do that. In my spare time, I'll make clothes, apps (when I finally learn some coding), stories, websites, whatever. All these things I could be paid for, but if I were paid I couldn't do them...

I'll be working for money, and not kidding myself about it. Four hours a day plus sporadic income from when people decide to pay me for my other endeavours, plus all the fraud you can fire at the government, play all the rest of the time, and just make sure I sleep a bit before work.

Nobody will understand, at least not straight away, but that's how it's always been.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.