Administrator of the Quantum Fund (one of the biggest hedge funds), known as one of the best speculators of our time (Warren Buffett is a better investor)

Malaysia's Prime Minister Mathathir Mohamad does not like this guy, claiming in 1997 that Soros had helped bring down the Malaysian Ringgit, as he had several other currencies before.

Born: Budapest 1930
Net worth: (2001) ~5billion US$ (among the wealthiest 150 people)

George Soros, is a Hungarian-born Jew, who "spent the war in Hungary under false papers working for the Nazi government, identifying and expropriating the property of wealthy fellow Jews." according to the (highly dubious) LaRouche publication Executive Intelligence Review. During his youth he studied at London School of Economics under Karl Popper. He was inspired to become an economic philospher, but instead became one of the most succesful investors of the 20th Century.

In 1992 George Soros speculated against the British pound, causing it a massive devaluation and a personal profit of 1 billion $US. Soros almost did to the Bank of England what Nick Leeson did to Barings. Soros has also been accused of devaluating other national currencies; Thailand, Indonesia, and Mexico. Malaysian President, Dr Mahathir accused him directly causing an economic crisis.

Soros's foundations, The Open Society and the Quantum Fund, have supported liberalisation in Eastern Europe. Among his contributions have been buying 400 photocopiers for Hungarian libraries, and providing inexpensive TV transmission equipment to Milosevec's critics. Soros's own critics accuse him of using these philanthropic organisations solely for money laundering.

Soros has also been highly critical of the US war on drugs, stating that treatment of addicts is more important than blocking suppliers. He has also actively supported legalisation in many US states.


For more information, see "Soros on Soros" (his Autobiography)
http://www.soros.org/

Sources:
http://www.salon.com/people/bc/2001/03/27/soros/index3.html
an unnamed employee of Soros
http://www.soros.org/
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a93634.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.