The list of 110 rules that George Washington wrote when he was 14 and continued to follow throughout his entire life.

These rules guided his actions and helped him succeed through the Revolutionary War and granted him the role as the first president of the United States.

These rules mainly had to do with etiquette and how to act when in the company of others. For example, Washington's 52nd rule states: "In your apparel be modest and endeavour to accommadate nature; rather than to procure admiration, keep to the fashion of your equals, such as are civil and orderly with respect to times and places." In other words, don't dress up too flashily, and don't use your clothes to show off and make others feel bad. Each rule describes a minuscule detail in the way that you should conduct yourself. Most of the rules use good common sense and would benefit people who are using them today. Others, though, are very old fashioned. For example, rule #30 states, "In walking, the highest place in most countries seems to be on the right hand, therefore, place yourself on the left of him whom you desire to honor, but if three walk together, the mid place is the most honorable; the wall is usually given to the most worthy if two walk together." In other words, when you're walking with someone, walk to the left of him, if you want to show him respect; if there are three of you, the one you most respect goes in the middle; and next to the wall is the place of honor when you walk along the wall. These days, I don't believe it matters what order you choose while walking down a street. I believe that most everybody is equal, and therefore, their position in walking is irrelevant.

My personal favorite is rule number 110, which states: "Labor to keep alive in your breast that little celestial fire called conscience." In other words, work on listening to your conscience. It's the spark of your soul.

(borrowed from George-isms, by George Washington)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.