In the northeastern parts of the US state of Georgia, along highway 77, north of Elberton, several large rocks were erected in the beginning of the 1980s. On top of the four flat rocks and a centre column is a "top" stone that rests on the other five. Thus, this monument has been dubbed "Stonehenge of Georgia."

The tale is that a stranger entered a bank in Elberton to carry out the transaction: The land was paid for, the stones were paid for, the labour was paid for. To this date, only the bank manager knows the actual identity of this person.

The individual said he represented a group of people who wanted these words of wisdom to remain as a monument for people to learn from. However, no indication was made as to the backgrounds of this group. They wished to remain anonymous, so that there would be no prejudice against the source of the wisdom.

It is believed, partly because of the message, partly because the stones were erected during the Cold War, and partly because of its remote location, that the stones were intended for a post-World War III era.

The four flat stones carry rules for living, one side equals one language, so the eight biggest languages of the planet are covered. The rules on the English side read:

Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
Guide reproduction wisely, improving fitness and diversity.
Unite humanity with a living new language.
Rule passion, faith, tradition and all things with tempered reason.
Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
Let all nations rule internally, resolving external disputes in a world court.
Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
Balance personal rights with social duties.
Prize truth, beauty, love, seeking harmony with the infinite.
Be not a cancer on Earth. Leave room for nature. Leave room for nature.

The Georgia Guidestones were unveiled before a crowd of 400 people on March 22, 1980. The man who commissioned the raising of the stones went by the psuedonym "R.C. CHRISTIAN". This name is enscribed on the stones. The 10 precepts on the guidestones are repeated in 12 different languages: English, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, Hindi, Chinese, Spanish, Swahili, Sanskrit, Babylonian cuneiform, Egyptian hieroglyphics and classical Greek. The four main stones are topped by a capstone with an astronomical calendar. A center stone has an eye-level, oblique hole drilled through which the North Star is always visible. The stones weigh 119 tons. The site allegedly rests on a "power nexus" and many groups including Wiccans, Witches, Druids, Ceremonial Magicians, Native Americans, Christians, and Neo-Pagans use it for rituals.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.