In PDAs and other situations where interface uses touch interfaces, a gesture is a pointer motion pattern that is interpreted as a command.

Some examples: In Blender, if you push down left mouse button and draw a line, you go to grab mode, curved line will get you to rotate mode and V-shaped line gets you to scaling mode.

Also, some other programs on "desktop" machines, even some games, are using gesture-based interfaces -good examples of programs that use gestures include Opera and Mozilla (through Optimoz), and one game that uses gesture-based interface is Black & White.

Gestures are a bit of evolution (though not necessarily always in obvious direction) after pie menus.

Ges"ture (?), n. [LL. gestura mode of action, fr. L. gerere, gestum, to bear, behave, perform, act. See Gest a deed.]

1.

Manner of carrying the body; position of the body or limbs; posture.

[Obs.]

Accubation, or lying down at meals, was a gesture used by many nations. Sir T. Browne.

2.

A motion of the body or limbs expressive of sentiment or passion; any action or posture intended to express an idea or a passion, or to enforce or emphasize an argument, assertion, or opinion.

Humble and reverent gestures. Hooker.

Grace was in all her steps, heaven in her eye, In every gesture dignity and love. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ges"ture, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Gestured (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Gesturing.]

To accompany or illustrate with gesture or action; to gesticulate.

It is not orderly read, nor gestured as beseemeth. Hooker.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ges"ture, v. i.

To make gestures; to gesticulate.

The players . . . gestured not undecently withal. Holland.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.