Roman Emperor from 209-212 AD

Son of Septimius Severus, he and his brother Caracalla were appointed co-emperors upon the death of Septimius. Both, however, had been bitter rivals for a long time. Each disliked the other, and feared their brother was plotting against them. They lived in separate parts of the palace, and each had their own followers. Geta only ruled for 3 years before his brother, Caracalla had him murdered and became sole emperor. The murder took place in the apartments of their mother, Julia Domna. The brothers were meeting for an apparent reconciliation, when centurion's jumped out and stabbed Geta repeatedly. He ran to the arms of his mother while the centurions continued to attack him, all the while with Caracalla egging them on and shouting orders. Caracalla later claimed the murder was in self-defense, and was proclaimed sole emperor.

See Roman Emperors
Geta are a type of Japanese wooden sandal that raises your feet off the floor. When one walks on a hard surface with them on, every step is accompanied by the loud clacking of the shoes hitting the ground.

Once, my roommate got a pair of geta in the mail. He took them out, looked at them happily and promptly put them away in the cabinet. For the next few weeks I was a bit puzzled why he never wore them, so finally I asked. He just smiled at me, put on the geta and walked off down the hall. I noticed how loud the shoes were: I could hear his footsteps quite clearly even though he had walked to the other side of the building!

Also, some people find them to be rather uncomfortable, seeing as how they are made of wood with no cushioning on them. I wore them a few times, and I remember how comfortable my feet felt after I had taken them off...

Geta is the nickname given to small single engine airplanes developed by the Japanese during World War II. The planes were called this because of the resemblance of the floats to Japanese clogs. They were small Yokosuka E14Y Reconnaissance floatplanes with a pair of floats and crew of two. More commonly known by the code name ‘Glen’ to the Allies, they were powered by a 360 horsepower radial engine, cruised at 160km/hr and had a range of some 900 kilometres. The upper surfaces were painted a dark green, with light grey undersides. Armament, if carried, consisted of a single 7.7 millimetre machinegun in the rear cockpit and there was provision for two 100kg bombs, one under each wing.

The planes were originally used for reconnaissance, but a young airman name Nobuo Fujita came up the the idea of attaching bombs to the small planes and using them as attack craft. This plan was changed slightly, and Fujita used the plane to drop incendiary bombs on Oregon forests, in hopes of starting large forest fires. This attack and it's aftermath is written up in another node called Nobuo Fujita's 400 year old Samurai sword.

The interesting thing about these planes is that they were designed to be stored disassembled aboard a submarine, then assembled on the deck of the submarine and launched by a catapult. For takeoff, the submarines turned into the wind at cruising speed and the aircraft with engine at full power was catapulted along a short rail on the forward deck by compressed air. Retrieval meant landing in the sea beside the submarine, being hoisted aboard by a small folding crane, then a thirty-minute disassembly for storage in the watertight hanger in front of the conning tower. This additional superstructure also created instability for the vessel on the surface, causing it to further roll in heavy seas and high winds.

Both during assembly, which often took up to an hour, and launch and subsequent reconnaissance retrieval the Japanese submarines were exceptionally vulnerable. As a consequence reconnaissance was usually around dawn or on a moonlight night when lookouts on board still had to remain particularly vigilant.

Geta is a Japanese term used in the board game go. It is one of the two fundamental methods of capture, the other being shicho (or ladder in English). The English term for geta is net.

..........                    ..........
..........                    ..........
..........                    ..........
..O.......                    ..O.O.....  <--- this makes the geta,
..OX......                    ..OX......       and black is captured.
...OO.....                    ...OO.....
..........                    ..........
..........                    ..........

No matter what black (X) does, he cannot escape.

..........                    ..........
..........                    ..........
..........                    ..........
..O.O.....                    ..O.O.....  <--- still trapped
..OXX.....                    ..OXXO....      
...OO.....                    ...OO.....
..........                    ..........
..........                    ..........


..........                    ..........
..........                    ..........
..........                    ...O......
..OXO.....                    ..O.O.....  <--- resistance is futile,
..OXXO....                    ..O..O....       and black is captured.
...OO.....                    ...OO.....
..........                    ..........
..........                    ..........

Mastering this technique is a fundamental part of learning go strategy.

The prevailing thought is that the Japanese term, which means "wooden sandals", comes from the pattern of the stones (white "O" stones in this case). They vaguely look like the shape of the thongs on top of the clogs that you put your feet in.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.