We all love our pets, but that doesn't mean we want to go out and spend ridiculous amounts of money on special shampoos when they do something stupid like try to do the hokey pokey with Pepe Le Pu. The tomato juice theory is an old wives tale and only works on the premise that tomatoes smell better than skunk spray. It doesn't actually work. To remove the skunk spray particles from your pet's fur, you only need a few common household items.

Mix together baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and dish soap, to create a very bubbly solution and lather it onto your pet. This solution works because it is rich in oxygen, which bonds to the skunk spray particles and removes them from the fur. I can't do the nomenclature, but it works, okay?

This is another example of Things I learned from TVO.

Getting the skunk smell out of furry pets is easy, in fact all you need is dish soap, yes ordinary liquid dish soap. Simply wash the furry little critter wish a healthy dose of dish shop, lather and rinse. The skunk smell will be all the way gone, or at the very least very faint. The reason it works is pretty simple as well, skunk smell is transmitted through the oily substance that it sprays; the dish soap breaks down the oil and gets rid of the smell.

However if you happen to have a really furry pet or a very stubborn skunk you can rinse the still slightly smelly creature in a few gallons of white vinegar. After that rinse there will be absolutely no trace of smell. Plus, it's a whole lot easier than the whole baking soda thing and it actually works unlike the tomato juice theory.

As for the dish soap I prefer a biodegradable kind called Planet but if that's not around I have used Dawn and even the cheapest stuff I could find. All of them worked, but as a rule, the better it cleans your dishes the better it works.

Sources:
myself
Harley Anderson

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.