A company producing razors, shaving foam and associated products. They also make pens, batteries (duracell) and other consumer goods. The advertisements for their mach III in which an attractive shirtless man with a beard travels at supersonic speeds, blasting facial hair from his face before being greeted by an aprreciative woman are possibly the zenith of western culture.

Gillette also owns Braun, Oral B and Duracell. They are rated as the second most profitable brand according to the Interbrand survey, snuggled right between Coca Cola and Luis Vuitton.

Gillette was founded by King Gillette in the 30's when he released the disposable razor. Instead of maintaining the razor by constantly sharpening he wanted to have a blade that was sharpened by the manufacturer then thrown away when dull. They have been known as innovators ever since. My God, a razor is a razor, isn't it??? Some giant leaps forward for the shaving industry include that little creamy strip on the top and the pivot head. This is what people pay extra for and make a brand the second most profitable in the world! Gillette has over 250 men shave at their testing plant every morning for R&D. Their next release will be a women's version of the Mach 3 with bright colors and an 'independent style that women love'. Ow.

Why Gillette?

King Camp Gillette had a partner in the production and marketing of safety razors - Gillette was the idea man and his partner made it possible by devising a way of sharpening a ribbon of steel cheaply enough for it to be profitable. Between the two of them they created an empire that is still the owner of one of the world's most successful brands, which raises the question, "Why Gillette? Why not 'Gillette and That Other Guy?'"

Branding is why - Gillette's partner was born with the wrong name. His name was William Nickerson and, while that kind of ironic self-promotion is en vogue at the moment, it would have been an unqualified disaster in the early 20th century; no jingle in the world would make up for a coincidence like that.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.