As promised in my recipe writeup for Chocolate Chip Pancakes, I've finally managed to make this recipe (from the book "Morning Glories" by Donna Leahy), and found it to be delicious. The gingerbread cakes are well flavored, though not very sweet, and that is balanced perfectly by the sweet and tangy syrup. This is the type of breakfast you make for company - it is that good, and not overly strong in any flavor. I made it without the raisins, and thought it was delicious - do it either way. Yes, there is plenty of sugar in the syrup (1/2 C total sugar, 1/2 C corn syrup), but that the sweetness is balanced out by the flavor of the cakes - I was nervous about it being too sweet as I was making it, but it's surely not.

Syrup:

Cakes:

First, we get the syrup going. In a medium saucepan, combine the cider, sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, and cloves. Mix well, and bring to a boil. Lower heat, and simmer until slightly thickened and syrupy, about 15 minutes. Add the apples and raisins, cook about 3 more minutes. Keep warm until served. Note that the syrup will still be rather runny at this point, due to the fact it's warm - it won't look as thick as the pancake syrup you're used to.

Then, the cakes. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl. In a seperate bowl, combine the eggs, molasses, and buttermilk. Beat until well combined. Stir the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients, and stir until they're just combined together. Add the corn oil, and stir.

Heat a non-stick or lightly greased skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Ladle on the batter (which will be thick), forming cakes about 3-4 inches in diameter. Cook until small bubbles form, and the edges of the cakes begin to brown - usually about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over, and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until the cakes are cooked through.

Put onto plates, spoon the warm syrup over the top, and serve.

Makes 4-6 servings.


Go To: Cookery : Recipes, alphabetical : A to E
Go To: Cookery : Recipes, categorised : Main Dishes : Breakfast Dishes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.