Because of the fact that you love your precious kitty, you must take responsibility for keeping the little guy healthy. This can occasionally include some extremely unpleasant tasks, for both you and your sickly friend.

My cat was recently diagnosed with a rather buckis case of dermatitis. My cat, who is approaching thirteen years of age, is a very delicate feline. He trusts no one but me. I hated to violate this trust by forcing nasty-tasting liquid antibiotics down his throat, but it was for his own good. He will thank me for it some day.

Here are the instructions for giving the ill pet its medicine:

  1. Pick him up and pet him some so that he is comfy and relaxed
  2. Hold him by the scruff of his neck while supporting the rest of him on your lap so as not to hurt him
  3. Tip his head back as far as possible
  4. Give him the meds

He will, of course, try to wiggle away and turn his head aside, but you must be firm. I know it’s hard. No matter what crazy looks he gets in his eyes or spitting rage he goes into once he tastes the stuff, you must continue to hold him until it is swallowed.

Immediately give the poor kitty some Pounce or another tasty treat to make up for the trauma. You’ll be friends again in no time.

I'd like to amplify on item 4: "Give him the meds." This technique worked with my guy who had pneumonitis:

If the med is a pill:

The best way I've found to give medicine to a feisty pet who understandably doesnt want to swallow the pill is to gently wrap the animal in a towel or blanket. Do this some time prior to administering the medicine and stroke and love the animal a bit first. Then use the techniques described above to actually get the medication down the animals throat. The blanket gives you a safe, humane way to keep your pet from scratching or clawing you, and allows you to hold them firmly without hurting them.

Having been the proud owner of many a cat, in my opinion the best way to give a cat medication is to have it in a form like a paste, not a pill. The cat will not like it at all if you try and put it in its mouth, but you can get smarter and simply blot it on its hair. If the cat is able to move, it will undoubtedly clean itself as soon as possible by licking the medication off its hair; so the cat takes medication!

Do not forget to restrain the cat in a safe place (maybe a big cardboard box) after you put the medication on its hair, otherwise it will likely spread the medication all around your house. And ask you veterinary for permission before doing this - I'm not sure this way is OK for every possible cat medication out there.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.