Designated a national park in 1910, Glacier National Park is over one million acres of protected habitat in West Glacier, Montana.

In 1932, Glacier National Park and Waterton Lakes National Park in Alberta were joined together by the governments of Canada and the United States as Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park.

I've never been there, but I would really like to go. It's suppossed to be amazing.

Glacier National Park is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, and I've been pretty much all over the continental U.S... Words don't really do it justice, but I urge anyone who has the least interest in that sort of trip to go.

Let me try to capture a bit of what's so special about the place, in my opinion. First, there is the sheer natural beauty. Impressive mountain peaks, waterfalls, lakes, and beautiful valleys that compare with anything you'll find in Colorado. But the park has much more to offer. I stayed at a place called Many Glacier Lodge. It's at the edge of a beautiful lake, nestled right among the mountains. It's a short walk from there to a lot of trailheads, and if you go, take the walk to Grinnell Glacier. It's about 11 miles round trip, if I remember correctly, and well worth the effort. You'll walk through fields of wildflowers, past waterfalls, above lakes, and once you climb enough you'll get a breathtaking view of the mountains. Eventually you'll get to a small lake at the base of a glacier, where you can sit back, relax, and enjoy the view.

The park is one of the best places I've ever seen to catch glimpses of wildlife; I think I tallied six grizzly bear sightings, along with mountain goats and other more mundane creatures. The Going to the Sun Road leads high up among the mountain peaks, and along with Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado is one of the most spectacular drives in the U.S.

The thing that really stands out in my memory, though, along with the hike to Grinnell Glacier, is having to retreat to my room as a storm came through. It was the most beautiful thunderstorm I've ever seen, sweeping over the mountains. From my window, I saw clouds swarm over a neighboring peak, visible across the lake. The imposing, substantial, bulky mountain vanished in an instant, shrouded in a cloak of rain every bit as picturesque, framed by mountains all around, revealing the landscape as ethereal and fleeting. And then, from some open space in the lodge, the soft sound of flute music filtered through the thunder and danced in the valley.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.