NBA small forward, 1990 to present
Height: 6-foot-8
Weight: 220 pounds

With the fourth pick of the 1989 draft, the Miami Heat selected Michigan sharpshooter Glen Rice. Rice had just come off a monster season for Michigan that resulted in an NCAA title. Rice won the tournament's MVP Award, and averaged 25.6 points for the season, while shooting 58% from the floor and 52% from three-point range.

Rice stepped right into the Miami starting lineup and averaged 13.6 points as a rookie in 1990. His scoring average climbed to 17 ppg in 1991, and 22 in 1992. Rice's scoring leveled off after 1992, but he remained a consistent scoring threat, averaging between 19 and 22 points over the next four seasons.

In 1995, Pat Riley became the coach and general manager of the Heat. One of his first moves was to trade Rice to the Charlotte Hornets in a package for Charlotte's star center Alonzo Mourning. Rice made the All-Star team in each of his three seasons in Charlotte. In 1997, he enjoyed easily his best season, averaging 26.8 points while leading the league in three-point percentage. Rice played like a man on a mission, and led the Hornets into the second round of the playoffs.

However, by 1999 Rice had become dissatisfied with Charlotte, and missed the first 23 games of the season with a knee injury. Rice was then dealt to the Los Angeles Lakers for Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell, and suddenly became healthy, averaging 17.5 points for the Lakers the rest of the way.

Rice remained with the Lakers for another season, as the third scoring option behind Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant. The Lakers won the NBA Championship with little help from Rice, and, unhappy with his role in the offense, Rice demanded a trade.

In a complicated four-team trade, Rice came to the New York Knicks, where he was not destined to be any happier. Coming off of the bench behind Allan Houston and Latrell Sprewell, Rice posted a career-low 12 points per game, and battled a persistent foot injury that left him unable to practice with the team between games. Rice never really fit in with the Knicks, and New York's last impression of him was a miserable 5-point effort in the Knicks' first round elimination game.....

Rice, behind the three-point line, with Charles Oakley draped all over him....he's been cold all night....he hoists up the three....terrible shot, barely grazes the rim....

The Knicks, finding an easy scapegoat, dealt Rice to the Houston Rockets. Rice began the 2002 season starting in the Rockets' frontcourt, but suffered a knee injury, and has since had season-ending surgery.

Scouting Report:

Glen Rice's strength has always been his jump shooting. He is a 40% three-point shooter for his career, and is lethal with medium or long-range jumpers. He also has a decent mid-post game against smaller players. However, Rice has never worked very hard on the other facets of his game. He is a poor passer and defender. And late in his career, as his scoring abilities are on the decline, the flaws in Rice's game have become more prominent. His shooting ability should keep him in the league for a few more years, but he is unlikely to start again for a winning team.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.