To fly not under one's own power but by harnessing and riding thermals, that is, columns of hot air rising.

Also a description for the primary mode of transportation followed by slugs and snails, as they slip around on their little trails of self-secreted mucous. That a word typically used to describe such a graceful act is applied to these foul and unwholesome beings simply clinches the fact that they are abomination and must be stomped out.

A Sydney band that went for most of the 90s. Their lead singer, guitarist and songwriter died in 1999, of a suspected drug overdose. Their music is best described as "wall of sound", with lots of layered guitars. However, beneath the layers there were frequently beautiful melodies lying in wait for those who listened. Think bands like Ride, Cocteau Twins, and The Sundays, but louder.

They never really got very popular; but their music deserved to be. They had minor hits with Water Fall, Thin-faced man and Dream of Sammy. Their releases were:

  • Pretty Mouth (EP).
  • Shuffle off to Buffalo (EP).
  • Wake (EP).
  • Open Up and Croon (LP).
  • Disappear Here (LP).
  • Last (LP).

The last of these was released posthumously, consisting of some unreleased material that had been recorded in the studio and some stuff that William Arthur had recorded on a four track in his garage. It is still amazingly good. The band has been very consistent quality-wise on all of its albums. They're all good.

Good website to be found at: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ryalljoe/

Glide was 3dfx's proprietary API for their line of Voodoo cards. Given 3Dfx's near monopoly on the market during 1998, this worked quite well into 3dfx's attempt to gain more market share.

Since the Glide API was, essentially, embedded into the hardware, this allowed for ultra-fast gaming since a HUGE load was taken off of the processor. Textures rendered with Glide usually looked breathtaking - stepping out of the spaceship in the original Unreal, for example, was a breathtaking moment. Glide was also easier to program for, compared to the clunkiness of Direct3D at the time

Indeed, many games were ported to Glide; Descent and Descent 2 both got a facelift, breathing new life into these games. Glide was THE standard to program for back in the day, ensuring 3dfx's eventual downfall when their OpenGL and Direct3D performance weren't quite up to par

Of course, there were disadvantages to programming in Glide - textures were rendered in 16-bit color, reflecting 3dfx's stance that 32-bit color was an overhyped gimmick. Driver updates caused texture misalignment in some games. And, of course, you were limiting yourself to a particular brand of card.

Nowadays, Glide is dead in the water. As Tim Sweeney said:

Glide is dead. Nobody is writing any new code aimed at Glide. There are some games on the market still taking advantage of it, so it will be a little while before the thing is fully buried. But I can assure you developers are doing their best to shovel dirt on the grave, and if we ever see the deceased try to claw its way out, we will whack it back down.

In linguistics, a glide is a class of speech sounds that is initially produced with the same articulation as a vowel but then quickly shifts to another articulation. For this reason, glides are sometimes called "semivowels."

The major types of glides are:

[j], the palatal glide: The tongue is raised, forcing air along the palate. Examples: the first sound in English "yes"; the first sound in German "Johan."

[¥], the labiopalatal glide: the dorsum of the tongue is raised towards the palate and the lips are rounded. Essentially, this sound is produced by holding the tounge as if to produce j and the lips as if to produce w. This sound is found primarily in French and several Chinese languages. Examples: the vowel-like sound in French "puis" and "huit."

[w], the voiced labiovelar glide: the larynx is unconstricted and the lips are briefly rounded before widening. Examples: the first sound in English "will" and "wait."

[hw], the voiceless labiovelar glide: identical in articulation to the voiced labiovelar glide, except the larynx is not engaged. Examples: "which," "what," and "white" in some English dialects; the first word of Beowulf, "hwæt"

Glide

A Crest product
Glide is a floss that is a stringy substance that easily moves between teeth to help remove any plaque and food particles between your teeth, helping to prevent tooth decay. Personally I have a hard time with meat such as steak and chicken. It gets stuck all the bloody time, I have to floss with Glide - only floss that works for me. Its also good at getting rid of materials grounded in the gums. I have been using this floss for around three years.

    Glide is a good product if one or more of the following apply to you:
  • Floss typically breaks or shreds during use
  • It gets stuck in your teeth
  • Your gums are sensitive
  • You wear braces
  • Large gaps between teeth (I use it to floss my exterior teeth)


For additional information on this product visit its homepage at: http://www.crest.com/glide/index.jsp.
It has information on dental hygene and why its products are up to standard. Interestingly enough it has a visual demo of how to floss using this product.

Glide (?), n. (Zoöl.)

The glede or kite.

 

© Webster 1913


Glide, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Glided; p. pr. & vb. n. Gliding.] [AS. glIdan; akin to D. glijden, OHG. glItan, G. gleiten, Sw. glida, Dan. glide, and prob. to E. glad.]

1.

To move gently and smoothly; to pass along without noise, violence, or apparent effort; to pass rapidly and easily, or with a smooth, silent motion, as a river in its channel, a bird in the air, a skater over ice.

The river glideth at his own sweet will.
Wordsworth.

2. (Phon.)

To pass with a glide, as the voice.

 

© Webster 1913


Glide, n.

1.

The act or manner of moving smoothly, swiftly, and without labor or obstruction.

They prey at last ensnared, he dreadful darts,
With rapid glide, along the leaning line.
Thomson.

Seeing Orlando, it unlink'd itself,
And with indented glides did slip away.
Shak.

2. (Phon.)

A transitional sound in speech which is produced by the changing of the mouth organs from one definite position to another, and with gradual change in the most frequent cases; as in passing from the begining to the end of a regular diphthong, or from vowel to consonant or consonant to vowel in a syllable, or from one component to the other of a double or diphthongal consonant (see Guide to Pronunciation, §§ 19, 161, 162). Also (by Bell and others), the vanish (or brief final element) or the brief initial element, in a class of diphthongal vowels, or the brief final or initial part of some consonants (see Guide to Pronunciation, §§ 18, 97, 191).

⇒ The on-glide of a vowel or consonant is the glidemade in passing to it, the off-glide, one made in passing from it. Glides of the other sort are distinguished as initial or final, or fore-glides and after-glides. For voice-glide, see Guide to Pronunciation, §§ 17, 95.

 

© Webster 1913


Glide, n. (Aëronautics)

Movement of a glider, aëroplane, etc., through the air under gravity or its own movement.

 

© Webster 1913


Glide, v. i. (Aëronautics)

To move through the air by virtue of gravity or momentum; to volplane.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.