Regarded as a subset of IDM or Intelligent Dance Music, Glitchcore deals with the more arcane sounds that artists could now utilise with the advent of home computers and easily aquired sampling equipment. Add to this the music community's love of adding a '-core' suffix (Hardcore, Emocore, Slowcore, Snorecore) and a new (sub)genre is born. Contrary to popular belief however, good examples Glitchcore are not Aphex Twin and the like; the music, while being bizarre, is missing some key elements which make up Glitchcore. In layman's terms, Glitchcore is music that sounds like it's fucking up.

Glitchcore comes from the newest wave of electronica - there was no 80's Glitchcore. In the 1970's, Kraftwerk experimented with various keyboards, drum machines and synthesizers, sometimes constructing their own instruments, but always using analogue equipment. From there we can see bands such as Stereolab and Add (n) to X continueing to use analogue-synth. Enter Aphex Twin and Autechre (a better example of Glitchcore, but not great) in the early-to-mid 1990s, experimenting with computers in ways that had not been thought of yet. Though giving rise to a multitude of new genres like Drill & Bass (classic IDM signiture style - where the drums seem to be falling over themselves; Squarepusher can't help himself but overuse it) and Experimental Ambient, there was still more to be discovered.

Enter artists such as Detroit's Robert Hood/Rob Noise, who concentrated on the experimental and soul in IDM, and Berliners Basic Channel in the early 1990s, who stripped Electronica to it's bones. Thinking that Electronica had become all show and no substance, these artists heralded new ideas in the scene, giving rise to extreme minimalism and avant experimental techno. These groups were not to define or invent Glitchcore however, it was only the next wave of IDM enthusiasts, using computers and programmed software who were able to expand on the basic ideas already set forward.

Now we come to the well-known Glitchcore figureheads like Oval, Pole, and Vladislav Delay, who involuntarily formed a community. Interested in digital noise collages, glitch sounds, and minimalist techno, it was not until German techno-head Achim Szepanski's label Mille Plateaux released the Clicks_+_Cuts compilation that Glitchcore finally reached the public. Showing the versatillity of the genre in it's range of different approaches, the aesthetic was bolstered by California's Cytrax label, and was then pronounced a new electronica movement.


Some Glitchcore Artists:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.