Gloria in excelsis Deo et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis.

Laudamus te, benedicimus te, adoramus te, glorificamus te.

Gratias agimus tibi propter magnam gloriam tuam.

Domini Deus, rex coelestis, Deus Pater omnipotens.

Domine Fili unigenite, Jesu Christe.

Domine Deus, Agnus Dei, Filius Patris.

Qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.

Qui tollis peccata mundi, suscipe deprecationem nostram.

Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris, miserere nobis.

Quoniam tu solus Sanctus. Tu solus Dominus.

Tu sulus Altissimus, Jesu Christe.

Cum Sancto Spiritu, in gloria Dei Patris.

Amen.

"G-L-O-R-I-A! Gloria!"

This garage band classic was written by Van Morrison and first released on his band Them's 1964 album "The Story of Them featuring Van Morrison." It was a B-side to the single "Baby Please Don't Go," a hit for the band.

The Shadows of Knight made the song known to radio listeners with their 1966 cover version. "Who's Who In Rock'n'Roll" described the track as "the most durable rock-dance hit with the exception of 'Louie Louie'," and many American punk bands considered the Shadows of Knight a big influence (no doubt why early punk musician Patti Smith did a much-expanded-lyrically version). Them fans considered the Shadows version to be toned-down.

The Doors, with Van Morrison's sometime drinking buddy Jim Morrison, frequently played the song live, often adding lines that wouldn't have gotten past the record company, such as "she come in my mouth." Other artists to cover this song (as opposed to one of the several other songs of the same title, such as Laura Branigan's) are Jimi Hendrix, Simple Minds, John Cougar Mellencamp, Bryan Adams, and the Trashmen.

Written at Gamaliel's suggestion, when he was trying to figure out whose song was which.

Sources:
http://www.warr.org/vanmorrison.html
http://www.45-rpm.org.uk/dirt/them.htm
http://www.bassicleemusic.com/shadows/legend.html
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=Bt95h8qptbtn4
http://www.simple-minds.demon.co.uk/discog/nl/nlpr1.htm http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/7878/cover.html

An ill-fated sitcom spin-off of All in the Family featuring the exploits of The Bunker's daughter Gloria (still played by Sally Struthers). Gloria now lives in California and is separated from her husband Meathead. She is working as a nurse while also trying to raise her son as a single mom. This show probably has to be one of the earliest depictions of a single mother on television.

The show premiered in September of 1982 and lasted 21 episodes. Although the show ended the season in the top 20, CBS chose not to renew it.

Glo"ri*a (?), n. [L., glory.] Eccl. (a)

A doxology (beginning Gloria Patri, Glory be to the Father), sung or said at the end of the Psalms in the service of the Roman Catholic and other churches.

(b)

A portion of the Mass (Gloria in Excelsis Deo, Glory be to God on high), and also of the communion service in some churches. In the Episcopal Church the version in English is used.

(c)

The musical setting of a gloria.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.