A Glow Worm is a plush children's toy from the 80's. They were little worm shaped things with segmented bodies, and when you squeezed or hugged them, their faces would light up. They ran on D cell batteries, and the way they lit up was that as you squeezed them, you squeezed a lever together that completed the battery circuit, powering the light bulb in their face. I had one as a child that was green, and he wore a little green pajama hat. He was one of my most valued childhood possesions, and I still have him somewhere.

The female glow worm is equipped with a marvelous lighting system. A wingless beetle, she crawls about at night eating small insects. On the lower side of her abdomen she posesses a "lantern" which she uses to signal to her winged mate flying above. This "lantern" has a transparent layer of skin. Behind this is an oily layer of tissue which chemically produces the light, and a second layer which acts as a reflector.
The glow worm is able to control this remarkably bright light, using it only at certain times to attract a mate. The male is equipped with particularly large eyes to enable him to see the signal. An abundant supply of oxygen and water is needed by the glow worn to maintain the chemical activity that produces the light. For a time, even the insect's eggs are luminous.
Glow worms, which are about half an inch long, are natives of Europe.

truths

I had to kill my judge before she killed me.

I feel envy so hard I could hear it break the skin.

truths

I try to fill everyone with love, especially when they don’t need it.

I may never get to be what I always wanted.

truths

I feel like we are the same being. I feel so protective over you. You’ve grown into me like a grafted branch. Your well-being is my well-being.

truths

I am a ruined sour cherry. I didn’t go sweet; I just lost my edge. Where did she go, the girl who wore bees?

truths

When I asked if you would judge me, for not crying when my father dies. And you said, “you’ve cried over him enough.” heaven is coloured only by such soft redemption. In seconds those years wept with relief.

truths

Oh, I love you. And I love you. And you. Has anyone loved me this way? adoration is an open door stumbling through me. I want to heave it on you, shove it down into you: spit back your loveliness, drool it back, pour it into my hands and make you watch how beautiful I see you.

truths

A mirror can’t reflect itself.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.