Yeah, this is your ass. It's generally one of the biggest muscles in your body. It rotates and extends the hip, it also keeps an eye out for the knees as well. It assists in walking, dancing, etc.

More?

This muscle is the closest to the skin of all the gluteal area muscles. It's broad, thick, and has a quadrilateral shape. Because of it's large size and placement, this is one of the most typical muscles to be aware of. The muscle is very coarse, with individual muscular fasciculi lying parallel with one another and, even further, collected into large bundles, seperated by something known as cellular intervals. Kind of like the cables of a suspension bridge. It starts from the superior section of the ilium (pelvis) and the portion of bone, including the crest, above and behind it, the posterior surface of the lower part of thesacrum, the side of the coccyx, the aponeurosis of the Erector Spinae muscle, the great sacro-sciatic ligament, and the fascia covering the Gluteus medius. The muscle fibers are distinctly downward and outward. Those forming the upper and larger portions of the muscle, together with the supervicial fibres of the lower portion, terminate in a thick tendinous lamina, which passes across the great trochanter and is inserted into the facia lata covering the outer side of the thigh. The deeper parts of the lower muscle are inserted into a rough line leading from the great trochanter to the linea aspera between the Vastus externus and Adductor magnus.


Some info from: Gray's Anatomy.

Back to The Human Anatomy?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.