The Go Team was the juxtaposition of Olympia rock icons Calvin Johnson and Tobi Vail, better known for their respective work in Beat Happening and Bikini Kill. The band was around from 1986-1990 and released only cassettes and 7"s on Calvin's K Records label, all of which are now scarce. The group also frequently included Bikini Kill guitarist Billy Karen, and recordings featured a bewildering array of guest appearances, the most notable being a guitar part on the song Bikini Twilight by Tobi's then-boyfriend "Kurdt Kobain" (better known for his work in... oh, nevermind). Other guests include Brit music journo The Legend!, David Nichols, and Louise Olson.

The band's sounds ranged from Beat Happening-esque pop ditties to raggedy garage instrumentals to near-industrial noise (the first Go Team cassette being exactly that: a field recording of the erection of a building across the street from Johnson's apartment). Live shows were known to be powerful, loose, chaotic affairs, where instruments were frequently traded and often discarded for spontaneous bouts of mid-song dancing.

The now-elusive recorded output consists of four cassettes and a series of 9 7"s, released one each month between January 1989 and Spetember 1989. The recordings aren't particularly valuable (though the July single which features the Cobain appearance does fetch between $100 and $300 as an early Nirvana rarity), but they are fairly hard to find. (If you have any Go Team items you'd like to get rid of, please /msg me!) The common consensus is that the Archer Come Sparrow cassette is the band's best work. If we're lucky some day the works of the Go Team will be rereleased, though that seems unlikely.

Discography (all releases on K Records unless otherwise noted):
Cassettes:

Singles: Compilation Appearances:

Thanks to Electricsound for info about the Display Items For Supermarket comp.

The core of NTSB investigations. The Go Team's purpose is to begin the investigation of a major accident on-scene as quickly as possible. Between three and twelve specialists from the NTSB's Washington, D.C. headquarters respond to the scene of an accident, traveling by commercial airliner or government aircraft. Assigned on a rotating basis, they also handle investigations of rail, highway, marine and pipeline accidents. While on duty, team members are on call 24 hours a day. They cannot pack ahead because accidents can be in a variety of locations (Florida and Alaska require entirely different items), but they always have the tools of their trade available. All carry flashlights, tape recorders, cameras, and extra tape and film.

For aviation incidents, the team breakdown is usually as follows:

  • Investigator-in-Charge: A senior investigator with years of NTSB and industry experience.
  • Operations Specialist: Examines the history of the accident flight, and crew members' duties for as many days prior to the crash as is relevant.
  • Structures Specialist: Documents the wreckage and accident scene, including impact angles to determine pre-impact course.
  • Powerplants Specialist: Examines engines, propellers, and engine accessories.
  • Systems Specialist: Studies components of the plane's systems, instruments, and elements of the flight control system.
  • Air Traffic Control Specialist: Responsible for reconstruction of the radar data and transcripts of controller/pilot radio communications.
  • Weather Specialist: Works with the National Weather Service and sometimes local TV stations to determine meteorological conditions for a large area around the accident.
  • Human Performance Specialist: Studies crew performance and all human error-related factors, including fatigue, medication, drugs/alcohol, workload, and training.
  • Survival Factors Specialist: Documents impact forces and injuries, evacuation, community emergency planning and all rescue efforts.

While an investigation is in progress on-scene, a member of the NTSB accompanying the investigative team acts as the primary spokesperson and briefs the media on the latest developments. Only confirmed factual information is released. Under the Aviation Disaster Family Assistance Act of 1996, family affairs specialists also assist at major accidents. The team remains on-scene for as long as necessary, sometimes for a few days or a few weeks. After that, work continues at the headquarters facility and a report is drafted for the NTSB 12-18 months after the accident.

When an accident occurs outside U.S. territory or not in international waters, the investigator is the government in whose territory the accident occurs. If a U.S. carrier or U.S.-manufactured equipment is involved, an accredited representative from the NTSB's staff is sent to assist.

Source: http://www.ntsb.gov/Abt_NTSB/invest.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.