This phrase is actually from Kurt Vonnegut's book Slapstick. The protagonist uses it, and then when he's President of the U.S. he tries to get into a private club. The club is only for people with a certain middle name (as President, he'd had everyone in the U.S. assigned a government-issued middle name) and he didn't have it. The doorman asks him if he's got that name, and he says of course not. The doorman says "Then, sir, I must respectfully ask you: why don't you go take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the moooooooon?"

Of course, there are other possibilities:

The phrase is, indeed, used in both books. It's used several times in Slapstick, and at least once in Slaughterhouse 5.
"Go take a flying fuck at a rolling donut," murmured Paul Lazzaro in his azure nest. "Go take a flying fuck at the moon."
- SH 5
Philip Jose Farmer, as Kilgore Trout, uses a derivative of this invective in Venus on the Half-shell - "Go take a flying fuck at a rolling karass! Go take a flying fuck at the Dupraaaaaaass!1"

Just some more "Kilgore Trout is Kurt Vonnegut" confusion, which probably thrilled Vonnegut.
1 kurass and duprass are tenets of Bokonon from Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.