It all began on a nice warm evening on June 24th. I was sitting at the end of the suburban circle I live on. Smoking a cigarette and drinking my Dr. Pepper, I mused for several minutes about the purpose of life and my place in the universe. It was shortly after trying to locate the North star that I became annoyed with the streetlamp obscuring the view in it's 50,000 candlepower halogen glory.

Then- a miracle of sorts. Just as I expressed my interest to see the night sky, the light was gone. As the glow disappeared, I could see the stars. Perfectly framed between trees on either side and the mystical streetlight on the bottom was the Big Dipper.

The god in the light was not without a sense of irony it appears. The Big Dipper is the constelation belonging (if it is possible for such a thing to be owned) to my ex-girlfriend Stephanie and I. On so many nights we would sit outside and look for it. Now disgusted with the repressed memories (she really was a bitch), I also remember the agonizing nights I howled her name at the sky, which now reminds me somewhat of "A Street Car Named Desire" praying for some kind of answer. Finially she broke my heart and in a way I was glad it was over.

Call me heathen, but my god lives on top of a pole at the end of my street, and he always gives straight yes or no answers. Does it really make me so different to have faith in something completly crazy?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.