A DOS/PC game, consisting of a strange mix between an RPG and a Puzzle game, which was developed by CSE Games (aka Ron Davis), published by Software Creations and released as shareware in 1994. It wasn't very successful, mainly due to a lack of publicity, and was re-published by Impulse Games after Software Creations died.

The game is seperated into three parts, and in the usual shareware model, the second two were only available as part of the registered edition. The three episodes are named, respectively, "Serpent Surprise!", "Non-stick Nognir" and "Lookin' for Loki". Set in a top-down view, the game casts you as Thor, with your mighty enchanted Hammer, which returns to you after you've thrown it. The hammer is used in solving the majority of the puzzles in the game, and of course to battle enemies.

The storyline, basically, is that Odin has spent a long time asleep rejuvinating his powers, and Loki has seized the opportunity and taken control of Midgard (aka Earth). You must defeat Jormangund, a serpent (in the first episode), defeat Nognir, Prince of the Underworld (in the second episode) and defeat Loki himself (in the third episode).

There are two meters displayed at the bottom of the screen while you're playing. The first is a long red one, which represents your health. This can be restored gradually by eating golden apples, and by various other ways in the game (such as talking to a healer). The second is a shorter green one, which represents your "magic power". This is consumed when using magical items, and can be restored using blue and red potions.

You can also see the number of jewels you currently have (jewels are scattered around all of the screens, and), which you can use as currency, the number of keys you have, often used in puzzles, and the item (magical or otherwise) you currently have selected. Oh, and of course, your current numeric score.

Gameplay consists of proceeding through the screens, not necessarily in anything like the order which seems to be the obvious one, and defeating enemies, solving puzzles, talking to people and collecting/using items as necessary. Most of the puzzles, as mentioned above, require use of your hammer. For instance, one requires you to throw your hammer and then hit it into a glowing oracle as it travels back towards you, in order to open a new area and retrieve a key, in order to proceed to the next part of the puzzle. The glowing oracles, which can be activated either using your hammer or by touching them directly, either act as switches or communication devices.

When you run out of health, ie you die, you are simply returned you to the start of the current screen in the state you were in when you originally entered. This means that it is often a better idea to die if you take a lot of damage, rather than to run away (and thereby stopping you from having your health restored). Note that the enemies and puzzles usually regenerate/reset to their original location/state when you re-enter a screen.

There are numerous creatures around the levels, most of which can be destroyed using your hammer and only hurt you when they touch you. A notable except to this consists of the worms, which are un-defeatable and fire pellets (which instantly kill you) at you when you are in any of the four main directions from them. Several puzzles involve having to sneak past them by pushing blocks into the correct positions so that the pellets cannot hit you as you wander past.

Overall, a fun and challenging game, the puzzles are a bit difficult at times, but after a few minutes of logical thinking they become clear. My main objection is simply that some of the sequences which involve 'sneaking' past spiders or worms are a bit too dependant on luck. Other than that, it's a good game, go play it. It's apparently now available as Freeware - see http://www.adeptsoftware.com/classics/got.html.


System Requirements: 286 or above, VGA graphics card, 510k RAM. Supports SoundBlaster/Adlib and a joystick.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.