Compiled overview of the 80 ton Goliath 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



GOL-1H Goliath

Brigadier Corporation's success with the Scorpion Battlemech, the first of the four-legged 'Mechs, spawned the creation of the four-legged Goliath. Some of the early technical difficulties of a four-legged 'Mech had already been overcome by the time the Goliath was created. Leg movement was coordinated through the neurohelmet, and the 'Mech was streamlined to allow more armor.

Dr. Harrison, the creator of the four-legged 'Mech, felt that such 'Mechs would usher in a new era of Battlemech warfare. Unfortunately, the Star League did not agree with him. Nevertheless, Brigadier Corporation managed to sell several Goliaths, most of which were stationed on the Periphery, where 'Mechs were usually tested.

The Goliath performed well, and the Star League began to take interest shortly before its fall and the start the First Succession War. The few Goliaths that were operational quickly become the property of their pilots. Only a handful are still functional and in service today . Of these, the majority are in the hands of House Steiner. Brigaidier Corporation trained its own pilots for the Goliath program, and many of their heirs still pilot those same 'Mechs. Most consider the Goliath to be the best piece of equipment produced by the firm.

Unlike the earlier Scorpion, the Goliath supports a good deal of firepower and armor. Also, modifications to the cockpit added to the MechWarrior's comfort.

The weaponry systems are centered around the Rand PPC system installed on its turret-like head. The Rand system has an average performance, but works well with the Garret GRNDTRK 15 Targeting and Tracking System. Supporting the PPC are two torso-mounted Holly Long Range 10 Missle Packs. Coupled with the variable-height firing capability of a four-legged 'Mech, this weapons system gives it a very long range in combat. Goliaths can only store twelve rounds of ammunition for the long-range missile systems. This lack of sufficient ammunition has sometimes meant the difference between victory and defeat.

For anti-infantry support, it carries twin Ramsey machine guns in center-torso mounts. Though the Ramsey system may jam and overheat frequently, it is an impressive sight when they are aimed almost straight down to attack infantry attempting to secure the 'Mech from below.

The Goliath's armor is constructed from the best materials that Star League could offer. Supporting over 18 tons of armor, this 'Mech is not quickly or easily disarmed in combat.

Due to its precarious center of gravity, the Goliath cannot move if one of its legs is disabled. This is a fatal weakness, as leg damage is common on the battlefields of the Succession Wars. An immobilized Goliath becomes 80-plus tons of pure target.

Due to the limited number of Goliaths, they almost never work in conjunction with each other. However, the Goliath has been instrumental in a few battles throughout the Inner Sphere.

One such example is the battle for Sirus between House Marik and House Liao in 2901. The hot plains of this world provided a test for many pieces of equipment, and the Goliath was one of them. The Marik Militia's Cannery attack lance, which had a Goliath, engaged several large 'Mechs during a rear area raid. The Goliath managed to disable a BattleMaster and two Shadow Hawks, which were the main defenders of the rear command area. In a sweeping drive, the lance killed many in the command post, and within two days, the entire Liao battlefront withdrew nearly 40 kilometers.

House Kurita's raid on the planet Ryde along the Steiner border in 2950 resulted in the only recorded combat of Goliath versus Goliath. The two Goliaths battled for nearly an hour until the Steiner 'Mech finally crushed the fleeing Kurita 'Mech. Naturally, the Steiner forces stripped the crippled Goliath for parts, which are otherwise nearly impossible to come by.

The last known major action involving a Goliath was in 3003, when the Federated Suns squashed a rebellion of nobles on the planet T'sanna. The rebel forces seized a Goliath, and used it to repel several advances by Davion recon forces. The Goliath was finally defeated by a crushing attack to the 'Mech's cockpit.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.

The Goliath remote-controlled demolition carrier was developed by the Borgward automobile company after the Nazis recovered a similar French vehicle sunk in the Seine. It is yet another example of how the Nazis always managed to develop fascinating new weapons, but mostly failed to properly use them.

This vehicle was to be used to destroy bunkers and fortified positions. It was controlled by means of a wire by an engineer sitting in a secure position. Upon reaching the target, the Goliath was blown up.

The Goliath looked like a little turretless tank with a low silhouette. It was transported to the battle zone on a two-wheeled trailer. In the rear of the vehicle was a drum containing 650 meters of control wire. The wire had three strands, two for driving and one for detonating the charge.

An early version was driven by two electric motors and carried a 60-kilogram explosive charge. This was designated the Leichter Ladungsträger (light demolition carrier) SdKfz 302 E-Motor (electric engine) and known as Gerät 67 (Device 67). Between April 1942 and January 1944 Borgward and Zündapp produced 2650 vehicles of this type. However, only a few E-Motor Goliaths ever saw action, as the vehicle was quite expensive at 3000 Reichsmarks. In March 1945 there were still 2527 E-Motor Goliaths waiting for action.

The E-Motor Goliaths were successfully used at Sevastopol, where they destroyed 36 bunkers and 11 guns.

Zündapp and Zachertz built a successor to the E-Motor Goliath with a combustion engine. It was designated the Leichter Ladungsträger SdKfz 303 V-Motor. Its first version was SdKfz 303a (Gerät 671), of which 4604 were built between April 1943 and September 1944. The explosive charge had been increased to 75 kg. SdKfz 303a was slightly higher than SdKfz 302 due to an air-intake cowl.

The final version was SdKfz 303b (Gerät 672). Only 325 were produced between November 1944 and January 1945. It carried a 100-kilogram explosive charge.

The later versions of the Goliath were relatively inexpensive at 1000 Reichsmarks. Nevertheless they were also rarely used, and 3797 SdKfz 303 were still unused in January 1945. This is probably due to the fact that the Goliath was actually built for attacking fixed positions and, later in the war, the Germans were mostly on the defensive. Allied troops encountered Goliaths in Anzio, where many of them bogged down in the sand, and later in Normandy.

Specifications:

  • Length: 150 cm (SdKfz 302), 162 cm (SdKfz 303a), 163 cm (SdKfz 303b)
  • Width: 85 cm (SdKfz 302), 84 cm (SdKfz 303a), 91 cm (SdKfz 303b)
  • Height: 56 cm (SdKfz 302), 60 cm (SdKfz 303a), 62 cm (SdKfz 303b)
  • Hull: 5 mm steel (SdKfz 302), 10 mm steel (SdKfz 303a and 303b)
  • Tracks: width 16 cm, 48 links, ground contact 73 cm
  • Ground clearance: 11.4 cm (SdKfz 302), 16.8 cm (SdKfz 303a and 303b)
  • Trench crossing: 60 cm (SdKfz 302), 85 cm (SdKfz 303a), 100 cm (SdKfz 303b)
  • Power: 2 x 2.5 kW (SdKfz 302), 12.5 bhp (SdKfz 303a and 303b)
  • Engine: 2 x Bosch MM/RQL 2500/24 RL2 (SdKfz 302), Zündapp SZ7, 703 cm³ (SdKfz 303a and 303b)
  • Weight: 370 kg (SdKfz 302 and 303a), 430 kg (SdKfz 303b)
  • Explosive charge: 60 kg (SdKfz 302), 75 kg (SdKfz 303a), 100 kg (SdKfz 303b)
  • Road speed: 10 km/h (SdKfz 302 and 303a), 11.5 km/h (SdKfz 303b)
  • Fuel capacity: 6 litres (SdKfz 303a and 303b)
  • Street range: 1.5 km (SdKfz 302), 12 km (SdKfz 303a and 303b)
  • Cross-country range: 0.8 km (SdKfz 302), 6 km (SdKfz 303a and 303b)

Sources:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1167/egoliath.html
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/3620/gol1.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/3620/gol.htm
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/borgward.htm
http://www.strandlab.com/visquiz/

Goliath was an autonomous robot built at MIT in the early 90's (I haven't been able to determine the exact year). At a size of only one cubic inch in volume, it succeeded Squirt as the smallest robot ever built. It contained two motors, six sensors, two batteries, and an onboard computer, and used tank-drive differential steering. Its descendents include the Ants series of robots. Goliath is pictured in Mobile Robots: Inspiration to Implementation.

Goliath of Gath was an "uncircumcised Philistine" (1 Samuel 17:26) who stood "six cubits and a span," or nine foot nine, if the Google calculator is to be trusted. He was champion of the Philistine army when it met that of Saul in the valley of Elah, not too far from Ephesdammim (which is between Shochoh and Azekah, in case you were wondering).

Goliath came forth and taunted the men of Israel for forty days. He bade them choose a man to come down and fight him in the valley, and the winner's army would take home the loser's as slaves. No one had the nuts to do battle with the giant, and for good reason. Here's how he was armed:

  • Helmet of brass upon his head
  • Coat of brass mail weighing 5,000 shekels (about 125 pounds)
  • Greaves of brass upon his legs
  • A target (a kind of small shield or buckler, used as a defensive weapon in war) of brass between his shoulders
  • A spear, the staff of which was "like a weaver's beam" (2 inches to 2 1/2 inches in diameter), and the iron head of which weighed 600 shekels (about 15 pounds)
  • Some poor schmo walked in front of him, carrying and presumably wielding his shield for him

According to Saul, Goliath was "a man of war from his youth." A badass whom none among the host of Israel would stand up to.

Then along came David. He convinced Saul to let him fight Goliath because, though just a boy and a shepherd, he had (according to himself) slain a lion and a bear that tried to make off with his sheep. Saul even loaned him armor for the fight, though David took it off since it was too heavy and went out only with a staff and a sling.

Goliath was understandably insulted. "Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves?" Instead of the dramatic showdown he had asked for, all he got was a boy with a bagful of stones.

Turns out it was enough. A single stone from the sling of David "sunk into his forehead" and Goliath fell. (Fire that shield guy, I say.) According to Scripture and contrary to most casual recountings, Goliath wasn't quite dead yet...David strode up and stood upon him and smote his head right off his shoulders with his own sword.

If that weren't enough ignobility for this giant man of war, his head was presented to Saul in Jerusalem. Well, those are the risks you take as a cocksure Philistine facing the God of the armies of Israel, I guess.

Sources:

1 Samuel 17
http://www.google.com/
Webster 1913
http://www.sundayschoolresources.com/biblestoryactivities2.htm
http://www.searchgodsword.org/enc/isb/view.cgi?number=T9154

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.