Gomez burst onto the scene in 1998 with the intricate and beautifully crafted Bring It On. Which scene is not entirely clear - they have been compared with everyone from Beck to Crosby, Stills and Nash. A key element of their sound is the amazing gravelly vocals of Ben Ottwell and Ian Ball and the ring of many guitars.

Britpop attempted to claim the band as its own but was rebuffed by the downbeat and introspective brooding of the band's second album Liquid Skin in 1999. Although not as radio friendly as the delightful harmony and infectious hooks of Bring It On Liquid Skin delivered a weird and wonderful conglomerate of blues riddled guitars and some amazing timing.

Gomez's third full studio album is In Our Gun. The first single, Shot Shot is very up-tempo compared to Liquid Skin's murkier depths. It still sounds like an alcohol riddled bullfrog with emphysema wailing over an orchestra of guitars though - great, in other words.

Mainstream rock seems to be giving way to fusion-metal-hybrid-rap-funk but Gomez are a breath of fresh air for anyone looking for original and beautiful music with brains.

Gómez is a common Spanish surname, used throughout the Spanish-speaking world. It is one of the few Hispanic names that does not come from Latin, arising instead from the Visigothic word guma, meaning 'man'. This is the same root word that gave us the English 'groom' (as in 'bridegroom'), but it has not given us any common English surnames -- the surname Gomme is perhaps the most popular English variant; Gomer, surprisingly, is unrelated, coming from the Greek Γαμὲρ ('Gamér').

The Visigoths settled in Spain in 456 AD, and the name Gamér is recorded as coming out of the Castile region, an area of popular among the nobility. As the Spanish conquered much of the world, including most of South America, the name Gómez followed. While it maintains its traditional form in most of the world, the Portuguese tend to use the form Gomes, and the Catalans Gomis.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.