Gooey butter cake is a St. Louis tradition. The name says it all: it's a gooey cake with lots of butter. But for those of you without imagination, picture a cake that's sweeter-than-sweet and beyond light and fluffy. Word 'round the Arch is that a baker was trying to make a regular yellow cake but botched the ingredients and came up with this under-done miracle. If you've never tasted some, I highly suggest that you treat yourself to a proper gooey butter education. I'll even tell you how.

You will need:

Let's get this party started. Preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly butter a 9x13 cake pan. Set that aside now.

In a mixing bowl, soften (or melt) the butter slightly before adding the cake mix and 2 of your eggs. Mix the batter until it is smooth; pour this into the greased pan.

Next you're going to take that same bowl and mix the cream cheese, the almond and vanilla extracts, 4 cups of powdered sugar and the other 2 eggs. Mix and pour the cream cheesed batter into the pan on top of the buttered batter. Do not mix the two batters together. There should be two layers to the pan.

That's it! Bake the cake for 30-45 minutes, or until it's a light golden color. The "toothpick test" will not work for this cake, as the consistancy is gooey and underdone, so you'll have to go by the color. Be careful not to overcook your cake; otherwise it'll just be a really sweet yellow cake. Once it's finished, cool the cake slightly and dust the top with powdered sugar. Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.