Co-founder and Chairman of Intel. (1929 - date)

Almost every one has heard of Moore's Law relating to the doubling of transistor count in integrated circuits. Gordon Moore is the man who developed the concept - one of the founders of Intel, and currently chairman emeritus of the company.

Born January 3rd, 1929 in San Francisco, Moore was desirous of becoming a chemist in high school. He gained a BS in Chemistry from the University of California, Berkeley and a PhD in Chemistry and Physics from the California Institute of Technology.

He began working at John Hopkins University as a researcher, then joined the Lawrence Livermore Laboratory as an Inspector of Nuclear Explosions. Following a two-year stint there, he founded Fairchild Semiconductor with William Shockley, and later co-founded Intel in 1968. He became the CEO in 1979 and retired in 1987 to become the chairman emeritus.

One of the "365 Top Earth-Conscious Celebrities", he is well aware of the damage caused by semiconductor plants, and works to minimise the ecological impact of chip fabs. http://www.gordon-moore.com/

I can't believe I called him the co-founder of IBM, and it was unnoticed for an hour!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.