Gozer was the ancient Sumerian God that was to summon the traveller to bring about the end of the world (in the movie Ghostbusters). Gozer appeared as a rather androgynous (but still attractive) woman. Paul Reubens (aka Pee Wee Herman) was originally offered this role (but he turned it down).

Some comments on Gozer from people involved in the film.

"Ivan thought it might be more interesting if Gozer was rather androgynous looking - someone like David Bowie. That idea led logically to the consideration of androgynous-looking female rock stars -someone like Grace Jones would have been perfect. Unfortunately, by the time we came up with this concept, it was too late to sign on a big name. We did retain the basic idea, however, which is why Gozer appears in the form of a woman."
Joe Medjuck

"We tried for a long time to use the actress' real voice; but because of her Czech accent, I was afraid it might come off as being funny. After that, we went through six or seven different voices. I did one myself, but it wasn't very good. I tried traditional 'voice of God' approach, but that was boring. I tried an effeminate male voice which was okay on some of the lines, but really sounded silly on others. Finally I decided on a very low Exorcist-type female voice which—although it had obviously been used before—still worked out the best."
Ivan Reitman

"Gozer is based on several things. For one, there is a Gozer Chevrolet dealership in upstate New York. A little more to the point, though, is the fact that Gozer was a name related to a documented haunting in England; the one Poltergeist was based on, in fact. During this particular haunting, the name Gozer appeared mysteriously throughout the house, written on walls and things. So we figured we might as well take something that had been reported in the public domain as an actual occurence and use it in the film as our main demon and supernatural force."
Dan Aykroyd

Gozer is also command line text rendering utility for creating images from abitrary text in antialised truetype fonts. Gozer is available for most Unix variants, and is licensed under the GPL.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.