My father retired in March of 2000 and to keep himself busy joined the Greater Columbus Habitat for Humanity. This is a charity organization dedicated to building houses for Underprivileged families. October 2nd of 2000 I have decided to dedicate my Tuesdays to the same cause. I am hoping it will work out but it wont be easy with work from 10:25p to 6:25a and then going straight to my parents house to meet my father and to the work center by 7:30a, but I'll give it my best.

My first day was pretty uneventful. I got to my parents house as my father was getting up... he was grumpy. Part of the reason I am doing this is to keep on good terms with him so that didn’t make it any easier. I followed him to the work office and met a few of his friends he used to work with and they seemed pretty nice... most of them retirees. Our first job was to fix the front door, which had broken during an attempted break in. The office is in a pretty bad area of town about 15 miles north of Columbus. They have had several trucks stolen; they has also prefabricated a couple of sheds and put them out back which were broken into... not only was there no lock on them, but they were going to the houses that were being built, so there was nothing in them. It was pretty weird, they had busted off the latches rather than simply moving them. The foreman just got back from vacation the day I started so he didn’t know where to send us or what with so we just stayed in the work office and prefabricated a couple of things. I learned how to do a “jack king stud” which is just two 2x4s screwed together flush at one end with one board, the king stud, ten inches higher on the other end. They support the sides of windows and doors. We cut some of those and put them together. Another thing I learned is 2x4 are actually 1.5”x3.5”; I thought that was pretty interesting. I ended up leaving around 2:00p. I hope and expect next week will be more exciting.

Day 2 october 10, 2000

Day 5 october 31, 2000

April 23, 2001

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.