Green Beans with Leeks and Carrots

Ingredients
1 large bunch (about 4 medium-sized) fresh leeks
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium-sized onion, halved and cut into 1/2-inch-thick semi-circular slices
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. finely chopped parsley leaves
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 9 - or 10-oz. package frozen green beans slightly thawed

Directions
Clean the leeks by cutting off and discarding the roots and all but 1 to 2 inches of the green tops. Slice the top of each leek in half lengthwise down to the point where the green and white parts meet. Spread the leaves open and rinse the leeks well under cool running water to remove any grit. Slice the cleaned leeks crosswise into 1/2-inch long pieces and set them aside.

Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan, over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, breaking up the slices. When the onion is tender, before it gets brown, add the leeks and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Then add all the remaining ingredients except for the green beans, stirring gently to combine.

Bring the mixture to a boil; then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Gently stir in the green beans; then simmer, covered, for 10 minutes more, or until all the vegetables are tender. Serve warm. The dish may also be served cold or at room temperature. To serve cold, chill several hours or overnight.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.