Greg Maddux, pitcher, born 4-14-1966. Throws and bats right-handed. Played from 1986 to 2008 for the Chicago Cubs (1986-92), Atlanta Braves (1993-2003), Chicago Cubs (again, 2004-06), Los Angeles Dodgers (2006), San Diego Padres (2006-08) and Los Angeles Dodgers (again, 2008).

Maddux was the prototypical finesse pitcher. His fastball generally clocked in at 88 mph, but his control was impeccable. He consistently ranked among the league leaders in fewest pitches per inning, fewest walks per inning, and ERA. Maddux joined the Atlanta Braves after leaving the Chicago Cubs as a free agent following the 1992 season, then went back to the Cubs as a free agent following the 2003 season. He generates an amazing amount of movement on his pitches; this was one of the reasons he has been successful while not throwing particularly hard. His changeup was among the best in the game. His repertoire also included a cut fastball, a slider, and a curveball. He was known to limit his pitch selection over the course of several games in order to have a new pitch available when he needed to retire a batter. Maddux was an exceptional fielder for a pitcher, and as a result he has won a number of Gold Glove awards; he won it every year from 1990 to 2002, then again in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008. His uniform number, 31, has been retired by the Cubs and the Braves.

Maddux holds the record for most consecutive seasons in which any pitcher accrued 15 or more wins -- 17 -- from 1988 to 2004. The streak was broken when he won only 13 games in 2005.

He's also usually the benchmark against which modern pitchers are judged -- an oft-spoken platitude among baseball pundits is "Greg Maddux has won the Cy Young Award four times, but Cy Young would never have won a Greg Maddux Award."

Maddux was inducted into the MLB Hall of Fame in 2014.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.