Grilled Asparagus

This is great as an appetizer or as a side dish for a summer meal, it is both quick and flavorful. By grilling the asparagus, the slightly bitter flavor normally associated with asparagus is softened. It takes on a nearly sweet and meaty flavor.

You will need:

  • 1-2 lbs fresh asparagus, thinner stalks are preferable.

  • Balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing (about 1 cup to each pound of asparagus.)

1. Clean asparagus well by soaking it in cool water for a few minutes. This will help to remove any lingering sandy soil. Then snap off the stem end of the stalk by using slight pressure. The stem should naturally snap where it has ripened.

2. Put all cleaned asparagus in a resealable plastic bag. Add the dressing to the bag, ensuring all asparagus is coated evenly. Seal the bag and lay it flat.

3. Turn the bag over every 15 minutes. This can marinate for as little as 30 minutes or as much as an hour.

4. Remove from bag and grill asparagus over a low to medium flame until it reaches the desired tenderness.

5. Serve and enjoy.

    Helpful hints
  • Use cooking spray on your grill to keep the asparagus from sticking to the grill.
  • Use a wire mesh grill tray insert, you will lose less asparagus to the fire that way.
  • Do NOT leave the asparagus on the grill unattended for longer than a few minutes or you WILL burn them.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.