144 in decimal (base 10)
100 in base 12
a dozen dozen

Gross (?), a. [Compar. Grosser (); superl. Grossest.] [F. gros, L. grossus, perh. fr. L. crassus thick, dense, fat, E. crass, cf. Skr. grathita tied together, wound up, hardened. Cf. Engross, Grocer, Grogram.]

1.

Great; large; bulky; fat; of huge size; excessively large.

"A gross fat man."

Shak.

A gross body of horse under the Duke.
Milton.

2.

Coarse; rough; not fine or delicate.

3.

Not easily aroused or excited; not sensitive in perception or feeling; dull; witless.

Tell her of things that no gross ear can hear.
Milton.

4.

Expressing, Or originating in, animal or sensual appetites; hence, coarse, vulgar, low, obscene, or impure.

The terms which are delicate in one age become gross in the next.
Macaulay.

5.

Thick; dense; not attenuated; as, a gross medium.

6.

Great; palpable; serious; vagrant; shameful; as, a gross mistake; gross injustice; gross negligence.

7.

Whole; entire; total; without deduction; as, the gross sum, or gross amount, the gross weight; -- opposed to net.

Gross adventure Law the loan of money upon bottomry, i. e., on a mortgage of a ship. -- Gross average Law, that kind of average which falls upon the gross or entire amount of ship, cargo, and freight; -- commonly called general average. Bouvier. Burrill. -- Gross receipts, the total of the receipts, before they are diminished by any deduction, as for expenses; -- distinguished from net profits. Abbott. -- Gross weight the total weight of merchandise or goods, without deduction for tare, tret, or waste; -- distinguished from neat, or net, weight.

 

© Webster 1913.


Gross, n. [F. gros (in sense 1), grosse (in sense 2) See Gross, a.]

1.

The main body; the chief part, bulk, or mass.

"The gross of the enemy."

Addison.

For the gross of the people, they are considered as a mere herd of cattle.
Burke.

2. sing. & pl.

The number of twelve dozen; twelve times twelve; as, a gross of bottles; ten gross of pens.

Advowson in gross Law, an advowson belonging to a person, and not to a manor. -- A great gross, twelve gross; one hundred and forty-four dozen. -- By the gross, by the quantity; at wholesale. -- Common in gross. Law See under Common, n. -- In the gross, In gross, in the bulk, or the undivided whole; all parts taken together.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.