Capital of the state of Jalisco and 2nd largest metropolis in México (population ~4 million). Located in west central México.

Guadalajara was founded in 1531 and was relocated on several occasions in the following decade, under pressure from the indigenous peoples in the area. During the 16th century the city was the center for Indian slave hunting. In 1810 it was occupied briefly by Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, who initiated the independence movement and decreed the abolition of slavery in México.

Since 1940 Guadalajara has become a major industrial producer, in addition to its traditional functions as political capital and commercial entrepôt for an extensive agricultural region (devoted primarily to corn maize growing and livestock raising). It produces textiles, shoes, chemicals, building materials, tobacco products, and soft drinks. There are many ultramodern industrial and commercial buildings, and modern residential suburbs have attracted members of the upper classes and of the rapidly expanding middle classes from the older parts of the city.

Its cathedral, completed in 1618, is richly decorated. Many of the city's more than 50 churches also date from the colonial period. The governor's palace, begun in 1743, is one of the finest examples of Spanish architecture in México. The city has two universities: the University of Guadalajara (1792) and the Autonomous University of Guadalajara (1935). Guadalajara was the home of the painter José Clemente Orozco (1883-1949) and houses many of his finest works.

Guadalajara is connected by railroad and highway with Nogales, AZ, on the US border, to the northwest, and with Mexico City, to the east-southeast. Roads also lead to communities on the central and Pan-American highways. National and international airlines serve Guadalajara. Lake Chapala, a popular resort and retirement centre for US citizens (some 5,000 in the late 1970s), is 23 miles south of the city.

The song Guadalajara was recorded by Desi Arnaz (of I Love Lucy fame) in 1946 for RCA/Victor records. It was one of his more popular songs and was often requested. He went on to perform this song in the second episode of I Love Lucy (The Girls Want to Go to a Nightclub).

If you want to hear Desi perfomr Guadalajare yourself then check out one of the following albums, Babalu Music!, The Best of Desi Arnaz: The Mambo King, and Babalu.

Guadalajara has also been covered by people as diverse as Elvis Presley and The Herrera Sisters.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.