Guelph is a town of about 100,000 people in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. Its main features include the University of Guelph, a very good public transit system, and a few other things that I forget.

Named after the British Royal Family. That's why it's refered to as 'The Royal City'.

From http://www.uoguelph.ca/history/urban/tour-01.html:

Guelph's founder, John Galt, operated on the principle that towns could be used to stimulate general settlement. "The first effectual step in colonization," he wrote, "is to plant a village." In his scheme, Guelph was to be an "instant" town, designed to attract migrants to it and to the surrounding countryside. He chose the name "Guelph" because it was one of the family names of the British royal family, hence the current use of the term - "The Royal City".

You could stop by the site, which is hosted by the University of Guelph.

Also, I asked the professor that is in charge of the site about this.. and he said:

The British royal family at the time of the city's founding was of the Hanoverian dynasty, originally from Germany, members of the German branch of the Welfs; those in Italy were known as Guelphs, in opposition to the Ghibelines.

Guelph, Guelf (?), n. [It. Guelfo, from Welf, the name of a German family.] Hist.

One of a faction in Germany and Italy, in the 12th and 13th centuries, which supported the House of Guelph and the pope, and opposed the Ghibellines, or faction of the German emperors.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.