Gyros, pronounced yee-ros (with a rolled R, IIRC). I believe that gyros is the singular term, but there is disagreement on this front.

All the gyros I've ever eaten contained shaved lamb meat (they shaved the cooked meat of the lamb, rather than the wool off the lamb... well, they probably did that before they killed the lamb... anyway), various condiments, and cucumber sauce. Scrum-diddly-umptious.

Gyro (pronounced gee-roh, not guy-row), is a greek sandwich that predates the Gordita by a few centuries. Take some of the best foodstuffs on the planet in the form of spiced, rotisserie grilled lamb, thinly sliced onions and fresh, ripe tomatoes, cover the whole thing with the creamy goodness of tsaziki (yogurt, cucumber and garlic sauce), add some shredded lettuce or crumbled feta cheese(entirely optional) and wrap the tasty mess in a warm pita. Consume with vigor.

Availible in malls, roadside carts, and greek delis... if you haven't had one (and have no strong objection to the above listed ingredients), go, get one, now!

You'll never go to taco bell for a gordita again.
You will need the following:
Gyro Patties Yogurt Sauce 8 lg Pita Breads cut in half
Thinly sliced onion rings
For patties: Preheat broiler or prepare barbeque. Combine ingredients lightly but thoroughly in large bowl. Shape into 16 thin patties and broil, turning once, until done as desired.

For sauce: Combine first 4 ingredients in small bowl. Add garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.

To assemble sandwich, place 1 meat patty in each pita half and top with yogurt sauce and onion slices.


Source: (Journey's End - Mundelein, Illinois) Favorite Restaurant Recipes. ISBN: 0-89535-100-5

Gyros in Scheme!

(serve-on (warm 'pita)
    (fry-or-grill 'onions 'tomatos (marinate
       (slice 'lamb) 'olive_oil '(coriander thyme chili garlic)))
    (mix '(yogurt lemons coriander oregano mint)))

Ingredients

Get the best stuff you can; this should be obvious by now.
The oregano, mint, & thyme should be as fresh as you can get it; the coriander should be whole seed.
For the lamb, I recommend a shoulder cut.
Don't skimp on the marinade time: lamb has a funky taste when unaltered, but it can pick up spices really well given time.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.