In 1979 AM General began work on the M998 Series High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV), a 1-ton truck intended to replace the M151 and other light tactical vehicles. It was designed for use in all weather conditions, over the most difficult terrain. It was in development through half of 1982, and production was completed in 1989.

platforms: the cargo/troop carrier, armament carrier, TOW missile system carrier, shelter carrier, and two ambulance variants (2- and 4-litter). The HMMWV is the prime mover for the AN/TRC-170 Radio Digital Terminal and the Pedestal Mounted Stinger System.

specs: hydraulic, 4-wheeled disc brakes, 150hp at 3,600 RPM, a 3-speed automatic transmission, 4 wheel double wishbone independent suspension, fuel capacity of 25 gallons (94.63 liters), highway range of 350 miles (563.15 kilometers). It has a 6.5 fuel injected V-8 diesel. The HMMVW with snorkel kit can ford water up to 60 inches.

11 variants: M998 Cargo/Troop Carrier; M1038 Cargo/Troop Carrier, with winch; M1043 Armament Carrier; M1044 Armament Carrier, with winch; M1045 TOW Carrier; M1046 TOW Carrier, with winch; M997 Ambulance, basic armor 4-Litter; M1035 Ambulance, 2-Litter; M1037 Shelter Carrier; M1042 Shelter Carrier, with winch; M1097 Heavy HMMWV (payload of 4,400 pounds).

High-Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle, the official(?) acronym for the vehicle more commonly known as the Humvee. The Humvee was designed by AM General as a replacement for the aging Jeep design. It's less susceptible (seemingly almost impervious) to the Jeep's rolling problems, can carry more equipment, and was designed to serve in a more modern battlefield. The Humvee is also unusually designed to sink as quickly as possible in water. Thanks to an intake snorkel on the top of its hood, it can drive through almost any body of water, as long as the snorkel is above the surface.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.