Stop calling me a HO or you'll die of dysentery....
July 2-5, 2009
Try taking a journey by covered wagon across 2000 miles of plains, rivers, and mountains. Try! On the plains, will you slosh your oxen through mud and water-filled ruts or will you plod through dust six inches deep? ~ Oregon Trail
You would think I would have learned after last time or the time before that. But apparently I have a blind spot in my rational thinking when it comes to noders.
4th of July Weekend baby
July 2-5, 2009
We will be at the coast from Thursday through Sunday. You can come earlier or stay a day later, but we will only have the vacation rental from Thursday to Sunday. So you are welcome to also visit hippy-tastic Eugene by staying longer.
Pacific City, Oregon
Yes, I know it's far to travel for a Hot Damn. Yes, I know it's not in the Midwest. Hell, this time, even I have to travel to it. But we will get to spend time on the beach and enjoy the ocean views, plus SEA LIONS!
What you really need to know is that it will be in Pacific City, Oregon at a vacation rental near the beach. This place sleeps 30! It also has city water and sewer, which anyone who was at HD5 can attest to as being a prime factor in choosing a vacation rental.
I hate to have to say this, especially since I said it last time and STILL ended up significantly out of pocket. But… the house we are renting is a $3,000+ place, so you will be expected to help defray the cost. If 30 people show up, that would mean around $100 per person. Please plan accordingly. In other words, do not show up and say "but I gave money for food" or "I'm cooking a meal." If you want to go for a ride on this magical bus, you must pay the fare.
You, yes you. All ? of you. Those who will almost certainly be there:
bus ridin fool
your name here
You're either attending or not at this point. Do it, you know you wanna.
alex and gwenllian
What will we do?
This is going to be held at a location with a good amount of activities near by. There will be food, beach time, hiking, excursions and such as well as lots of hanging out and getting to know each other. Other things to do:
- random amateur guitar breaks (bring your instruments) and sing-alongs
- play Rock Band
- consumption of mass quantities of alcohol
- games of some sort
- nap time
- clean up after ourselves
The following are potential outings. The big plan is to mostly hang out, we don't intend to plan too much, or try to fill every moment with activities. But, there will be excursions and outings for those interested. Options include:
- Independence Day Fireworks: Pacific City will host the annual Independence Day Fireworks on Sat, the 4th. This year's display is expected to be equal to any "big city" and is held right on the beach and can be seen from anywhere in town. Event begins at dusk.
- Kiwanda Music Festival:
Located at the southwest corner of the Cape Kiwanda parking lot Music from 2:00pm till just before the fireworks go off.
- Sand Dunes
- Largest Monolith on the west coast!
- Hang gliding
- Horseback riding
What will we eat?
There are restaurants, cafes, coffee shops, even a microbrewery and winery near where we'll be staying so if you want to eat out bring money. But, part of the fun of having these nodermeets is cooking and enjoying a large meal together. I will volunteer for a meal, but it is up to all of you to volunteer to cook a meal (or a side) as well. I can personally vouch for the fact that it quickly gets expensive when you are feeding a crowd. So /msg me about when and what you want to volunteer for.
Dinner: Burgers (meat and veggie), hot dogs and grilled corn on the cob - karma debt and mordel
Breakfast: Ulster fry by RoguePoet, LaggedyAnne and special inspection and supervision by wertperch
Lunch: Teriyaki beef (or tofu) over rice noodles, and green salad with peanut dressing (on the side, of course) by wuukiee and crew
Dinner: THE Jenchiladas by Andromache01
Breakfast: Pancakes by karma debt and mordel
Dinner:grilled fish and veggies, and pesto - grundperch and wertoon
What should we bring?
The following items you might want depending on what your plans are:
- chairs - Folding lawn chairs would probably be a good idea if you like to sit
- a towel - never forget your towel
- money - for your lodging/gathering location contribution, eating out, procuring beverages and food
- beverages for yourself and to share
- food items for the meal you've generously volunteered to cook
- ice, you never have enough ice do you?
- spare axle, bullets... oh, wait, sorry this is a different game
What should I leave at home?
- Fireworks that "fly, explode or travel more than six feet on the ground or 12 inches into the air." Regulations limit where those fireworks may be used. For example, legal fireworks are prohibited in all state parks and forests and on all Oregon beaches as well as Federal parks and forests. So yeah…. not on the beach and nothing really fun.
- insert item here
Go ahead do it, you know you want to.
Disclaimer: Ego, drama, whatever you want to call it, don't bring it. In order for all of this to work out and make sure that that this gathering doesn't result in a massive outlay of money, cleaning time, or drama, we ask that you please be mindful of others and realize that in this environment your actions effect the group as a whole. Noders can be very giving and understanding people, but like everybody else, we don't like being taken advantage of.
Photographic evidence of the awesomeness: