A beverage created by pouring a half pint of Guinness over a half pint of Harp. It helps to pour over the back of a cold spoon, to make sure the two do not mix.

Half & Half is a flavor of Nantucket Nectars, so named because it is half iced tea and half lemonade.

ingredients (according to the label on the bottle) - water, cane sugar, (medium invert) lemon juice concentrate, pure tea, natural tea flavor, citric acid (provides tartness), natural lemon flavor, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), citrus cloud emulsion

Ouroboros has informed me: “Also known as an "Arnold Palmer" amongst the retirees.”. (See Sylvar's writeup there for more information.)

I drink way too much of this stuff. (I don't like coffee, so this my alternate drink.)

The favoured drink of those short on finance in Glasgow (mostly the Wee Old Men) is the half'n'half, which is a half-pint of beer, whatever the local shop has cheapest, and a single whisky.

The effect of drinking the two, one sip at one, one sip at another, is enough to carry most strident drinkers off to where they wish to be.

In modern American usage, the predominant meaning of "half and half" is the one involving 50% milk and 50% cream (they're usually homogenized). The other beverages listed here are almost certainly allusions to the original. Also note that unlike the others, half-and-half is rarely considered a drink; it's added to coffee, tea, or other beverages when something lighter than cream is desired.

Finally, note that this means calorically lighter. Ironically, the "heaver" a given volume of a milk/cream mixture gets due to cream content, the lighter its weight.
The Half and Half is a Ragtime dance done in 5/4 time.

According to the introduction of Modern Dancing :

The Half and Half is an original drawing-room dance invented by Mr. Castle. It combines the best steps of the Hesitation and the Maxixe, but the tempo is entirely new.
In the mid 19th century, the same dance (more or less) was called the 5/4 waltz or the waltz a cinque temps.

Mr. Castle calls it the half and half, because he liked to describe it as half waltz (three beats) and half One Step (two beats).

Personally, I'd just call it Fox Trot as Mr. Castle describes normal Fox Trot moves in 5/4 time with various combinations of quicks and slows. Actually, I've found it simpler to use the terms Quick (one beat) Slow (two beats) and Very Slow (three beats). This has an added benefit in that the phrase "Very Slow" has three syllables for three beats : handy when calling out the step.

The most common rhythm in Modern Dancing  is (to start on count one) Very Slow, Quick, Quick. He makes the dance more interesting by letting variations cross the measure, and so the same rhythm would be more often described as Quick, Quick, Very Slow, but starting on count four.

Generally, when taking a Slow of Very Slow step, the free leg is straight, and either striking a pose (arabesque) or making an arc (rond de jambe).

As with the Ragtime One Step, any combination of Quicks, Slows and Very Slows, mixed with any Step, Style and Hold is fair game.

The phrase "Half and Half" is used in the prostitution industry to describe a package deal of services that begin with the prostitute first performing fellatio upon the customer and then engaging in actual copulation to completion. Some prostitutes narrow the selection of positions available in the intercourse segment to the missionary position or the cowgirl position.

This package is by far the most requested sexual service of in-call and out-call prostitutes (ie. non streetwalkers)1. "Reverse Half and Half," wherein the intercourse precedes the fellatio, is not nearly as popular.


1Albert, Alexa; "Brothel: Mustang Ranch and Its Women."


Merry Christmas, folks. You know who you are!

Throughout Britain it is the custom of many to visit their local Indian Restaurant of a Saturday night. There they will eagerly place their order for a Chicken Tikka Masala and will be content with a portion of pilau rice and a nan bread freshly baked from the tandoor.

Not so in South Wales. The Welsh regard no meal as complete unless it includes a portion of fried potatoes, but are prepared to make some sort of compromise when faced with the exotic cuisine of the Indian sub-continent. The average Welshman will politely, or not so politely depending on the quantity of alcohol he has imbibed at that point in time, state that he will have "half and half with that". By which he (or indeed she) is expressing the desire to be served with half a portion of rice and half a portion of chips.

The better sort of Indian Restaurant will tend to decline such a request, explaining that they do not "do half and half". The average Welshman will therefore be forced to order a separate portion of chips in order to satisfy his dietary requirements.

The simple fact is that the welsh love chips, and even in the wilds of Cardiganshire you will find Chinese takeaways that will automatically include a bag of chips in whatever meal you order, and where they will gaze upon you with bewilderment should you ask them not to do so.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.