A 12-step program catch phrase which stands for the common conditions of being Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and/or Tired.

When one or more of these states is in an unfavorable condition for too long, the possibility of relapse can become a serious concern. At very minimum, not taking care of a particular aspect can at least lead to a dry drunk. Not fun!

A mnemonic device for anyone who is feeling sad or listless. When we are busy ruminating all the things that make life trouble, we sometimes forget our most basic of needs.

HALT reminds us not to become too hungry, angry, lonely, and tired. Even when it's hard to eat or ask for company, it's usually a good idea. It is a hopeless feeling to be lying in bed screaming. And without someone to talk to. Nor is insomnia a good remedy for delirium, even if it is often an exciting and liberating state.

If you need to, try to remember HALT. Even if you won't use it yourself, it will remind you to keep in mind other people's needs.

Halt (?),

3d pers. sing. pres. of Hold, contraction for holdeth.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Halt (?), n. [Formerly alt, It. alto, G. halt, fr. halten to hold. See Hold.]

A stop in marching or walking, or in any action; arrest of progress.

Without any halt they marched. Clarendon.

[Lovers] soon in passion's war contest, Yet in their march soon make a halt. Davenant.

 

© Webster 1913.


Halt, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Halted; p. pr. & vb. n. Halting.]

1.

To hold one's self from proceeding; to hold up; to cease progress; to stop for a longer or shorter period; to come to a stop; to stand still.

2.

To stand in doubt whether to proceed, or what to do; to hsitate; to be uncertain.

How long halt ye between two opinions? 1 Kings xviii. 21

 

© Webster 1913.


Halt (?), v. t. Mil.

To cause to cease marching; to stop; as, the general halted his troops for refreshment.

 

© Webster 1913.


Halt, a. [AS. healt; akin to OS., Dan., & Sw. halt, Icel. haltr, halltr, Goth. halts, OHG. halz.]

Halting or stopping in walking; lame.

Bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind. Luke xiv. 21.

 

© Webster 1913.


Halt, n.

The act of limping; lameness.

 

© Webster 1913.


Halt, v. i. [OE. halten, AS. healtian. See Halt, a.]

1.

To walk lamely; to limp.

2.

To have an irregular rhythm; to be defective.

The blank verse shall halt for it. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.